Thinking of buying a 1997 Discovery, any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Doss

I need a weekend 4x4 for utility.
Its life will consist of:
hauling my Labs to the river
hauling my boat to the same river
going to Home Depot
pulling a small trailer with dirt bikes/4 wheelers

I have found a 1997 with 121k on the clock. Looks like a good one, I haven't driven it yet.

The guy is asking $5000.

Questions:
What should I look for in a test drive?
Are 1997's known for any defect I should be aware of?
Is that a decent price?
My boat is a 18.5 foot fiberglass fish/ski, would there be any issues pulling it?

Thanks for help for a newbie.

D

Doss

I realize I probably made a Newbie mistake and posted this in the wrong forum.
could a mod move it to the appropriate one?

So sorry.

O

OwenBirch

Doss,

Depending on what you need from Home Depot, I'd think twice about a Disco. They can hold a decent amount, but with the side opening door, it's more difficult for long items. I tow my 1,800 pound boat and the Disco barely feels it (though mines an 04). Disco's are great, but for what you say you need it for, which didn't include heart-racing 3 mph climbs through mad-sick trails, I'd probably just get a truck if I were you.

The price could be decent, depending on how well the owner took care of it. You usually get what you pay for, so I'd drive it and see how together it feels. Drive it for a while also, not just around the block. Do some serious braking, accelerating, turning, try the transfer case, etc... They can go forever with basic care.

N

NHESS81

Same as above, just get a domestic truck if you are going to be hauling larger stuff (not trailers, but like, plywood type sizes 'inside'), it will be cheaper to maintain than a Disco...but if you are going to be doing a bit of four wheeling, then a Disco is great. I am sad that I have not had enough time between university and work to get off road much in my Disco, but I will soon. But, still bottomline, there is the undeniable fact that you can say you own a Land Rover which 99% of everyone else you will run into do not....the price for 121 is OK, for a 100k with good to decent condition, I would expect about 6-6500, so make sure everything is working correctly. If you want a fun vehicle that many others dont own, go for it, but it may be a little hard to carry stuff inside--I know they are boxy and look big, but man, you fill up that cargo space REAL quick, and also rear leg room isnt too good so keep that little quirk in mind too.

I have a 97 Disco SE by the way.

B

bruce

think twice

for a weekend truck you might want to think about something that is less expensive to maintain. these trucks have really overpriced parts and maintenance, and as you can tell from this forum stuff is always messing up.

Tirewall

Reaction score
97 Disco

Doss,

I joined the Disco fray when my mechanic came across a '97 SE7 with 160K. I have put 38,000 on it in 13 months including a 12 hour trip to the Outer Banks, NC and here is what I've done
-Lifters (motor had a mean tick)
-Right exhaust manifold
-Vehicle Speed Sensor
-Rear Brake Pads
-Oil Pan Gasket
-Fuel Filter
-Changed All Fluids
-Hood Blackout (purely cosmetic)
I absolutely love it. 200K and going strong. Welcome!

J

jdhatch

Check for any rust around the window seals. Just bought a 97 disco with 109000 miles for 750$ yeah that is right, it runs too. But I am finding some rust. around the windows. It also has rust on the pillars. SO CHECK FOR RUST.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV