Thoughts on new forum layout?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me a few minutes to get my bearings (and find my private message inbox) but overall I like the new clean and updated look.

My favorite new feature is the ability to "like" posts. I missed that feature from other forums I've been part of. Makes it easier to give props/reputation to so many of the helpful and informative contributors who hang out on this board.

I also like that it (apparently) doesn't log me out as quickly as it used to between sessions. Good stuff guys.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Took me a few minutes to get my bearings (and find my private message inbox) but overall I like the new clean and updated look.

My favorite new feature is the ability to "like" posts. I missed that feature from other forums I've been part of. Makes it easier to give props/reputation to so many of the helpful and informative contributors who hang out on this board.

I also like that it (apparently) doesn't log me out as quickly as it used to between sessions. Good stuff guys.

Great, glad you like it. Its also responsive, so if you are on a mobile, the same skin you see here will also show on the screen of your phone, but fits perfectly.

Also new, is the ability to mention. - @cperez that will show in your alert section at the top right.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Shaggy, that is also a nice upgrade.

When I saw an email notification about your reply, I noticed that the formatting of that has changed as well. Too bad that the body of the comment is no longer in the notification, but I guess that is to drive traffic back to the forum. I liked the way it worked before, FWIW.

Again, nice job!

timchilcott

Reaction score
@Shaggy What are the stipulations for being allowed to post something in the Classified section? I can't find that anywhere.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @Shaggy, that is also a nice upgrade.

When I saw an email notification about your reply, I noticed that the formatting of that has changed as well. Too bad that the body of the comment is no longer in the notification, but I guess that is to drive traffic back to the forum. I liked the way it worked before, FWIW.

Again, nice job!

Yea it has that user come back to the forum, but it also helps with the replies to the emails I would get on a daily bases. Where a person would reply back to that email, thinking they were replying back to the person they were talking to, and that email would just go to me. I then would have to reply back to them saying they just emailed me and not the person they were talking to. It was a big hassle. This setup eliminates that completely.

@Shaggy What are the stipulations for being allowed to post something in the Classified section? I can't find that anywhere.

You need to be registered for 5 days or more AND have 50 posts or more to start a new thread in the Classifieds section.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New forum is great! The irony is that one of my old long time forums I browse changed over to XenForo about 3 weeks back, so this is pretty familiar already! It has been great there and I am sure it will be here as well. The biggest improvement is browsing on mobile!

Nice work admins.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to put back the shortcut to the last page of a thread? I like the look but prefer to read threads in the first post first and last post last sequence, which means I used that link everytime.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the new XenForo forum, you simply have to click the main thread title and it will automatically open to the last post you had previously read. If you haven't read any of it, it will open on the first post of the first page. (all provided you are logged into your account)

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
New forum is great! The irony is that one of my old long time forums I browse changed over to XenForo about 3 weeks back, so this is pretty familiar already! It has been great there and I am sure it will be here as well. The biggest improvement is browsing on mobile!

Nice work admins.

What forum is that?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the new XenForo forum, you simply have to click the main thread title and it will automatically open to the last post you had previously read. If you haven't read any of it, it will open on the first post of the first page. (all provided you are logged into your account)

Good tip, Surfrider. I had been going to the timestamp beneath the name of the last poster (along the right side) to get to the most recent post, but clicking the main thread title is the better method.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV