Thoughts on sunroof drain tube issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a little of both??? I've never seen one warped like that! I'd probably start with talking to the windshield guys and see where that goes. There's no way you can prove it wasn't warped before they changed it, but that is REALLY warped.
Ugh. I'm tired of being the worst case example of, "I've rarely seen that before." :) :bawling:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cowl was easily that warped. Strange since it spends most of the day in the garage and it really is not that hot up here. It could have been damaged multiple windshield installs or even a slightly different shape windshield. Have we found the source of the leak?

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my cowl on my LR3 AND used silicone underneath to hold it down and within a year it started to pull/bow out from the windshiled in the same spot, but the silicone underneath seems to be keeping water out for now. If I have a break-through again (water in passenger footwell) I will create a shield underneath it to push the water in other directions as others have done. Seems these cowls are just not robust enough to maintain their shape against the windshield!

jhartz

Reaction score
I think, if it was mine, I would take it to a good windshield guy and pay the labor to have him remove and correctly install the glass.

I doubt that cowling 'warp' is your problem. Either mucked up drain tubes (go in the wheel well and find where it dumps and clean it out with a hanger) or a really bad windshield seal (first choice).

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glass is not leaking. The cold intake in the engine compartment is pretty much directly under the largest part of the warp in Todd's picture. There is only a small corner of the intake that is exposed to catch the water that gets by the cowling, which is why you only notice a wet floor when it rains really hard. Catman's silicone fix is most likely directing the water away from the cold intake. There's a picture of it in here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

MST

Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen with my 2012. I keep it outside and just had water intrusion after one of our many afternoon thunderstorms. I took off the side vent and pulled the foam out to check the tube and it seemed clear but there was a ton of small oak leaves stuck in the void between the quarter panel and wheel well. I pulled as much as I could out and have not had another water issue. Maybe the void became full and overflowed into the car? I have to wait for another deluge to see if it happens again. I may just have to pull everything apart and make sure the drain tube is clear.

MST

Reaction score
Well I had water after a big rain again so I will have to try to clear the tube and I may pull out the foam thing in front of the outlet to see if that helps as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut