Ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donarba

Reaction score
2011 LR4 HSE with 78k on it has had this ticking noise, almost like a clock ticking right after starting up. Any ideas what this might be?

Just had the cooling system replaced two months ago.

kdegLR4

Reaction score
timing belt. Spendy repair, but when it needs it, you can't put it off. Was there 6 mos ago at 82k

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By timing belt do you mean timing chain guides and tensioners?

aakempvt

Reaction score
I would guess timing tensioners. Do you a chatter at start up? I’m at 52k and have start up chatter. Timing system getting replaced now.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 with 78k miles on it about now that had the ticking since brand new. It ticks for a few minutes when engine is cold and then goes away after 2 mins of driving. I took it to the dealer a few times after scaring myself by reading some posts here on this forum about it. Don't worry about it and just get on with your life. If its a heavy tick with vibration that could be felt within the cabin then you have an issue. Otherwise than that, just turn up the radio and get going where you have to go and the tick will be gone

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the same noise on mine. I’ve had the noise now since owner ship at 26k miles. It goes away once warmed up. My truck sees the shop for checkups, alignments, etc a few times a year. I’ve brouhht the noise up with two separate shops. Both gave me the exact exclamation; I know they aren’t milking me for money on false repairs. At 105k miles it hasn’t worsened or given me issues.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a ticking for a while and found it to be the water pump bearing was going. Replaced the pump. Can you use the screw driver method of listening to components?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the screwdriver or stethoscope method if the ticking is coming from right around the water pump I would be concerned it is the variable cam adjustment unit. Mine has been ticking for a couple of months and the repair is significant to the point that I'm holding off as long as possible until a complete rebuild. With 215,000 miles that could be any day!

horns

Reaction score
Using the screwdriver or stethoscope method if the ticking is coming from right around the water pump I would be concerned it is the variable cam adjustment unit. Mine has been ticking for a couple of months and the repair is significant to the point that I'm holding off as long as possible until a complete rebuild. With 215,000 miles that could be any day!

You have 215K miles! looks like an LR3 in your pic(?). That is awesome. I thought I was starting to show some age at 65K. Gives me hope that mine will keep plugging along.
(215 K is a lot of brake jobs as I think about it. 215k / 25K = 8+. ).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut