Time for new tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....to replace my aging (beloved) MT/Rs, in the 275/65R18 size.

Candidates:

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
Cooper Discoverer MTP
General Grabber X3

Does anyone have any experience and opinions?

Thanks in advance.

-Houm

GeoffDapper

Reaction score
Im about to purchase tires for my rover and would love feedback on this topic as well. Thanks in advance! OH and my LR3 is +2" lifted if that makes any difference

JosephLopez40

Reaction score
I've always had good results with cooper. I've used Goodyear on another vehicle and really liked them as well. I don't remember the model of the Goodyear tires but do remember they made a significant reduction in road noise from the last set of tires I had on that vehicle.

LPete3

Reaction score
I purchased a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3's for my '08 LR3 about 10K miles ago and love them. I went with LT265/60R18 for the extra load capacity (3K lbs. per tire). They have been great in snow and mud with minimal change in road noise and handling on the highway. Big fan of Cooper tires.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do the Cooper's compare to the BF Goodrich KO2 tires?
I have a set of 18" rims I'm going to eventually mount more aggressive tires on for camping, off road, snow, etc.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back when the (Cooper) Zeons were popular on the LR3, they experienced cracking on the inside of the tires. I hope Cooper figured that problem out. It sort of eroded my trust in the brand and that's in the back of my mind.

I don't think the Cooper A/T is quite the same as the KO2. It isn't a bad tire, don't get me wrong, it's solid and will do the job, but the KO2 is an iconic all-terrain tire. The results of the BFG on the LR3 though, have been mixed, so take that with a grain of salt.

Another thing to consider, if you are going with tires on a separate rim for part time use, why not go as aggressive as possible? Maybe depending on your needs. That's what I do....so that said, what are peoples' thoughts on the MOST AGGRESSIVE possible in a 275/65R18E tire?

stoutstuff

Reaction score
Cooper STT Pro Has the Armor Tek 3 ply sidewall and silica based compound for improved traction on wet and winter conditions.
Cooper MTP is only sold by Discount Tire and has a 2 ply sidewall.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, I may break up my set of MT/Rs so I can use one of them as a "get home" spare when I get my new kicks. They'd be "get home" status because they'd be the odd tread pattern, not because of low tread. It's a shame I'm having to move on because they have what must be 90% rubber.

Anyway...that means I'd have 3 other tires from that set that could be used as spares. 275/65R18. If any of you are in Western Washington (or even Western Oregon between Portland and Corvallis) and are interested, please PM me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slack