timing weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gim

Reaction score
Hi.
First post here.

I have a bit of a problem with the timing in my series IIA (petrol). I just replaced the timing gears, chain, etc. and found that the new crankshaft timing gear was 1/2 of a tooth off of the original I pulled out. I didn't know why this was so I called Rovers North here in the U.S. and they said that there was only one part for the crank gear, and they didn't know what to tell me about it. So I decided to advance the crankshaft on the gear 1/2 tooth instead of retarding it, but now, even though it runs like a top, it sounds like a diesel, with the lifters clattering away quite loudly, and uncomfortably so. I adjusted the timing (via the distributor) and the tappets to spec, but it is still making this noise. Has anyone heard of this before? Is the engine supposed to sound like that? It never has before... I would appreciate any help you folks could give...
Best regards,

Ben

wally.aussie

Reaction score
timeing

check the rocker's as they do wear to the point that they leave indents in them. although the feeler gauge will be a snug fit, there will be excesive play in the rocker arm which will not give an acceret reading. there 10 tho. hot or cold

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut