Tire Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex, I loved that video! Thanks so much for posting it. I wouldn't say that the LR4 handled the obstacles with "no problems". I seem to remember a winch in there somewhere The Land Rover traction control allowed the LR4 to perform adequately in spite of having terrible wheels and tires for off-roading. I don't think you all realize how terribly hamstrung the LR4 is because of its wheels and tires

The LR had to be pulled back with a winch because of driver's mistake. After that he went at it again and cleared the curve.

I do realize the shortfalls of the LR4 and especially the 19" wheels (I have 18" wheels on mine :proud:) and limited tire selection in that size for offroading.

The explanation on diffs was great. Thanks a lot! I owned Landcruisers in the past (FJ40, FJ62 & FJ70) and equipped a couple with manual locking diffs. Of course during those days I spent lots of time way off the beaten path.

I really loved that video and wanted to share it with everyone here to build confidence about what the LR4s we drive are capable of, without mods and on street tires. This is way tougher than most of us will ever drive our trucks through. The ones that will take it further will likely fit johnson rods, smaller wheels and larger AT or MT tires (I'm thinking about it :biggrin:)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone (especially CaptainSpalding),

THANK YOU for the thorough responses and advice, this was VERY helpful and interesting. I appreciate all of your input.

-David

ThePecker

Reaction score
Sorry, but I disagree. Sand and snow want big fat cushy tires to help you "float" on the surface instead of digging in. Airing down the tires increases their contact patch or footprint on the soft surface and helps prevent digging in. The sidewalls of the LR4s stock tires are so skinny that airing down the tires wouldn't give much, if any, benefit of an increased footprint, but it would increase risk of damage to the rims.

Hence why I said take into consideration the tire you're running big guy

ThePecker

Reaction score
Haha, not offended at all. Considering the honda cr-v comes with continental 4x4 contacts, if you're going beyond the car park, tires should probably be your first upgrade

illbenooneelse

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead :ahhhhh:

My setup:
  • Pavement: 43psi rear, 40psi front (tires cold, 60°F)
  • Gravel/Packed Dirt: 40/40
  • Beach Sand: 30/30
  • Tires: Continental TerrainContact A/T, 255/55/R19

Red flags, anyone?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead :ahhhhh:

My setup:
  • Pavement: 43psi rear, 40psi front (tires cold, 60°F)
  • Gravel/Packed Dirt: 40/40
  • Beach Sand: 30/30
  • Tires: Continental TerrainContact A/T, 255/55/R19

Red flags, anyone?

Pavement: 37 to 37.5 front, 40 to 43.5 rears (cold, usually in the morning with whatever ambient temps).

(ask me why 0.5 increments if curious)

I could be wrong but I believe by "Cold" the manufactures actually mean the non-driven air temperatures inside the tires and not necessarily the morning cold temps. This is because the air inside the tires get hot as they are driven, hence the varying 2 to 3 or 4 PSI increase after having been driven for a while (this PSI range could also vary depending on the style of driving). And depending on the ambient temps it could take 3 to 4 or more hours for the air temps inside the tires to stabilize back to normal pre-driven temps.

So to make it simple, they just ask you to set the PSI levels in the morning as they know that by then its usually been several hours since the vehicle was driven last.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CaptainSpalding, airing down 19" wheels with stock size tires makes a huge difference in sand. On the beach, I seldom need to air down at all, but there have been times when I could feel the LR4 sinking and getting stuck. Typically if it hasn't rained in a long time and I'm trying to go uphill from a dead stop, loaded with family, gear & dog. Just drop the tire pressure to 20 and I can drive right out every time. Cooper Zeon sidewalls hold up fine at 20 psi until I get home to my compressor.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the street I run 36/38. Even at these pressures I find I am getting slightly accelerated wear in the middle suggesting tire pressure is a little too high for my loads. If/when fully loaded and towing then I air the rears to 42.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut