Towing a travel trailer with a Self-Leveling Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Land Rover Discovery SE
Self-Leveling-Suspension
Class III hitch

My owner's manual specifically states "...do not use any type of equalization/weight-distribution system on a Land Rover equipped with a self-leveling suspension...?

So here is my question, since my vehicle's suspension will distribute the weight without the help of an equalizer hitch, what are my options for sway control (i.e., are there any other options besides a friction sway control system)?

Not being very familiar with travel trailer towing, I almost left the RV dealership the other night with a hitch system that could have caused major problems (even they did not know why I could not use an equalizer hitch). Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

If I can actually use some sort of equalization hitch, what kind? If not, what problems result from using this type of hitch/system? I am considering asking one of the equalizer hitch manufacturers to custom build a sway control hitch for me (I may be asking for trouble on this, but it can't hurt to ask).

This is the second Discovery I have owned. My previous Discovery was a 2000, obviously without a self-leveling suspension.

Again, any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Troy Miller

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is advisable to counter-react the leveling system with an anti-sway devise. It will confuse the internal L.R. leveling system, and possible do some damage, or cause an accident. You must have a rather heavy tow-along to require a stabilizer? If the towing is a must, see about stabilizing the tow-vehicle, via it's suspension...? just an idea....

D

discomike

Troy,
What exactly are you wanting to tow, how long is it and what sort of weight and tong weight????
I have a 99 Disco 2 with SLS and have towed a few trailers with no problems of any kind using a convential hitch.
Mike J.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The travel trailer is somwhat small, but heavy for it's size:
2004 Outback (by Keystone)
22'
5,000 lbs (approx.)
560 lbs - tongue weight (I could be wrong on this - from memory)
tandem axle

I grew up pulling large sprinkler pipe trailers behind tractors and trucks, but have never pulled a travel trailer. I just wanted to make sure that I got the setup right/safe before I jumped into the deal. I hate a pressure sale, and I try to research things so that I fully understand what I am getting myself into.

Joseph (or Joe if you prefer), as for stabilizing the tow vehicle via its' suspension, could you elaborate?

This has been a very helpful forum already - many thanks to the contributors for their time, patience, and help.
-Troy

D

discomike

Troy,
I also grew up pulling a pipe trailor, so I can relate, I used to water a lot of hay.
After hearing what your looking to pull I would now suggest you look in your owners manuel for the telephone # for Rovers zone office and ask to speak to a tech. person, give him the info and see what he says, I think you may be pushing the envelope.
Good luck,
Mike J.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes - sprinkler pipe and hay....

OT: I lived in Victor, Idaho for a time working on a farm and ranch. The first task of the day was to move pipe around 6:00am. We would brand, de-horn, and "fix" cattle during the day (or stack and buck hay if the crop was ready). We also had to milk a couple times a week (to give the regular "milkers" a break). We then had to move pipe again in the evening. Some very long days indeed, but they taught me how to work hard and enjoy it.

I have been trying to contact LR North America for about a week now - all I have been able to talk to are the customer service reps, who don't know anything about this topic. I have my local dealer trying to look into it as well, but they haven't found much yet (or they aren't putting much effort into it). You may be right on the "pushing the envelope" statement, another reason why I am glad that I have decided to take some more time to fully understand my options and desired setup. Here is a question along those same lines: I believe that the tow ratings are actually lower on my 2004 with SLS than they were on my 2000 - anyone know why? I would actually think that the bigger engine and SLS would allow for higher tow ratings (again, I am writing this from memory with no manuals in front of me).

OT (again): I am probably taking my family to Moab with my local Land Rover dealer on their off-road event in May. I usually go with some of my neighbor friends (to Moab), but I wanted to try the Land Rover organized and guided event once for fun. Has anyone else tried one of the Land Rover dealer events before?

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Troy, isn't it easy how just wanting to have a great time, with a really dependable vehicle, can become so complicated? My thought was to "take the mountain to Mohammed", in other words, beef-up the front end of the trailer suspension, and relieve some of the tongue weight? I am really only speculating, so please ask a qualified R.V. shop, or a trailer manufacturer about making the trailer a little more stable to eliminate the need for the external stabilizer. The tongue weight is your enemy, so either fix that problem, or trade your trailer in for a more compatable pull-along. The choices are there, you just need to stay within the feasible perameters allowed by the Disco you now own....NEVER trade IT in!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV