Towing Electric Kit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bone

Reaction score
Last month we purchased our first Land Rover, a 2015 HSE Lux. The model we got did not have the Tow Package so I'm looking at buying the pieces of kit needed for towing.

The dealer is telling me that the Towing Electric Kit (VPLAT0137) requires 3 hours of labor ($435) for installation. That seems a little crazy for a wiring kit. I haven't been able to find the installation instructions on line, but I'm having a hard time imagining why it would take a dealer 3 hours to install a wiring harness.

Is the harness that hard to install or is it easily installed by someone modestly mechanically inclined?

Thanks in advance.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the towing electric kit from Atlantic British on my LR3 and the instructions were good. I did have to trim down the connector to get it to fit into the hole in the frame with my Dremmel. I have been told that on the LR4 you will have to go to the dealer to have the program in the vehicle know the harness is there. I wouldn't think that would not take more than an hours labor but that is still $100. Good luck.
Also you will need the receiver if you don't already have one.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to install. It took me ~30 minutes if I recall correctly. $400+ is outrageous, although that might include some kind of programming that allows the anti-sway feature to function.

I don't do enough towing to care, but I can't imagine that would take more than 5 minutes to do at the dealership. They probably would still charge $100 for it.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been told that on the LR4 you will have to go to the dealer to have the program in the vehicle know the harness is there. I wouldn't think that would not take more than an hours labor but that is still $100.

The vehicle knows the towing electric kit is there and it is functional as soon as you hook it up. No dealer programming necessary.

Last edited:

T-Bone

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for excellent info and the install link. It's really appreciated.

For what it's worth (and I'm totally not doubting anyone), I was at the dealer today and the service rep said that the 2015 LR4's did require programming to recognize the trailer wiring. I'm not sure if he actually knows that to be a fact or if he's just assuming, but just passing along what I was told.

Again, thanks for the info.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for excellent info and the install link. It's really appreciated.

For what it's worth (and I'm totally not doubting anyone), I was at the dealer today and the service rep said that the 2015 LR4's did require programming to recognize the trailer wiring. I'm not sure if he actually knows that to be a fact or if he's just assuming, but just passing along what I was told.

Again, thanks for the info.

Fair enough. In that case it's a good argument in favor of DIY on the wiring install. That way, you can just try it out yourself to see if any further software updates are necessary.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the trailer wiring harness my self as well. worked great. it works with out programing on my 2010. if you want trailer sway control you will need programming. I tow with out the trailer programing and it works great.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the trailer wiring harness my self as well. worked great. it works with out programing on my 2010. if you want trailer sway control you will need programming. I tow with out the trailer programing and it works great.

Exactly, same here.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the trailer sway control only works with electric brakes on trailers so my boat trailer it will not work with my boat trailer any way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut