Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw there was a year-old thread on "who has towed what?" but I was hoping to get a litle bit more precise info. As I mentioned in another thread, I am trying to decide between an '06 Jeep Commander and an '05 (I don't think I can afford an '06) LR3. (We are looking at cars with about 40k miles, which is what the '05 Mercury Mariner we are replacing had.) Okay.. time for my question.

I want to be able to pull a boat (around 20') and a smallish camp trailer (again, around 20'). We don't own either, yet. But, we often wish we could pull my parents' and grandparents' boats and campers. Both the boats and the campers are around 4500-5500lbs. I would like to get my own boat within the next few years. I live in Utah, so there are lot of mountains and hills to get to many of the lakes I visit.

Here are the stats on the Jeep we are looking at:

Engine Size 5.7 liters / 345 cu. in.
Horsepower 330 @ 5000 rpm
Torque (lb-ft 375 @ 4000 rpm
Towing Capacity 7200 lbs

I assume everyone here knows the LR3 stats better than me, but here they are just in case:

Engine Size 4.4 liter (268 cu. in. / 4394 cc)
Horsepower 300 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque (lb-ft 315 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm
Towing Capacity 7700 lbs

So, obviously the Jeep has a larger engine. It does have a lower towing capacity, though! I don't really know anything about towing, horsepower, and torque, so I am looking for any advice or information anyone can offer! I don't do any off-roading now, but I think it could be something I could get into. I have driven both and I like the roominess of the LR3 vs. the Commander, and I also realize that the LR3 is nicer car, but I don't want to try to force it to do something it shouldn't.

Last edited:

outcold33

Reaction score
I pull a 24' boat that weighs about 6000 pounds it pulls it no problem actually better than my friends truck. Plus the airbag suspensions helps a ton with leveling out making towing and breaking MUCH easier. My neighbor also tows his boat but his is a 21' and I believe it is lighter.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks outcold. That is comforting. My dad had a Ford Expedition for a while and he didn't like towing with it because of the suspension.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also take a look at the braking systems and stats on both trucks. I think you'll find the LR3's to be more robust.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 23' boat, 6500lb (including trailer) no problem. I have actually towed this Rinker 232 BR behind a few vehicles. In order of preference/enjoyment: an 2002 Chevy avalanche z72, 2006 LR3 V8, 2005 toyota 4runner v8, 2008 Toyota 4runner V6, 2001 Toyota 4Runner v6, 2003 GMC Envoy, and in a pinch for short distances 2003 Nissan Xterra V6. None, even the xterra have had any trouble pulling out of the water.

iphone%20186.jpg

Thread all about LR3 towing things:
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12271&page=2

m5ccie

Reaction score
One of the gotchas on the LR3 towing is the tongue weight capacity. It is listed as 550lb max which is somewhat average. If you add additional weight on the rear axle such as trunk cargo, additional passengers, etc. your must subtract it from the 550lb max. It is a PITA trying to not overload the rear suspension...I do tow a Jayco 23B camper and I have to avoid loading the camper front and the rear trunk of the LR3.

You need to find out what the tongue weight of what you want to tow is. Typically, the tongue weight is about 10% of the towing weight but some are more and some are less.

GL,
Jim

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 is an awesome tow vehicle due to not only the powerful braking, engine, and the self leveling suspension, but also because it weighs over 6,000lbs itself. A properly set up trailer wihtin the tow ratings won't push the LR3 around at all. As a previous poster indicated however, the only problem wiht the LR3 towing is that you have to watch your tongue weight. That is a limiting factor as you cannot use a WDH.

The Commander by comparison. . .and you really can't compare the two. . .it lighter and does not have some key items that making towing a non-issue.

I have a friend that had a Commander and hated it. Always cast lustful glances at my LR3 and commented multiple times that is what they really wanted. It did not tow well according to them, but that may not be the case across the board.

Mante78

Reaction score
hey guys, I am not an Lr3 owner yet but I found this search online. I have owned a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L in it and it tows very well. the Cherokee and Commander is basically the same thing.

beantmt: You are looking for a vehicle with 40k, the factory warranties end at 50k not sure if that was something you were keeping track of but an 05 is already out of the warranty regardless. The 5.7L Hemi has displacement on demand which will help on fuel economy. The Commander will out tow the Lr3 anyday based on the more torque, going uphills and pulling the boat out of a wet dock every bit of torque helps.. I maybe wrong but the dealerships recommend if you two above 3k with the Lr3 you need the brake controller?? that correct?

As someone mentioned you really can not compare the Lr3 with the Commander on the surface but you can if you take it from the maintenance standpoint, I've seen several lr3's riding around with faulty rear bags. Jeeps are jeeps, I treated it like a jeep. Offroading, towing, you name it. The solid front and rear axles is not very comfortable while on the street BUT all out a godsend when on the trails (less to break)

Downsides of the Commander is lack of usable interior space. Very few glove boxes, no sunglass holders, it is annoying trying to nicely place things inside of a jeep. Under the hood dont even try to install a set of airhorns, no space! filled with the Hemi. Cant mount it low becuase if you go offroad it will get submerged.

All in all if you dont need the offroading capabilities of the Lr3 what does it do better then the commander?

Morrisdl: hauling that 20'er around what does your fuel efficiency drop down to? normal driving conditions are between 16 to 13?

Personally I am torn between an 07 Lr3 and a 2002 Excursion Diesel.. Cant compare those two either but considerin while towing diesel maintains its better mpg vs gas, more interior space, and the lack of maintenance of a diesel. Like I mentioned I trail, quite often the Lr3 will do quite nicely.. its a toss up either way..

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I am torn between an 07 Lr3 and a 2002 Excursion Diesel.... its a toss up either way..

LR3 hands down, as long as you aren't overly concerned about the fuel economy.

For fuel efficient towing, I suggest a MINI Clubman :hello:

IMGP0246.jpg

Mante78

Reaction score
LR3 hands down, as long as you aren't overly concerned about the fuel economy.

For fuel efficient towing, I suggest a MINI Clubman :hello:

IMGP0246.jpg

Im not overly concerned about fuel economy.. My pride in joy gets around 8mpg once Im in boost not to mention I was used to drive a Jeep. Quick question, do you "have" to run 93 or a combination?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi