Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mante78

Reaction score
Im not overly concerned about fuel economy.. My pride in joy gets around 8 mpg once I am in boost not to mention I was used to drive a Jeep. Quick question, do you "have" to run 93 or a combination?

Mante78

Reaction score
Im not overly concerned about fuel economy.. My pride in joy gets around 8 mpg once Im in boost not to mention I was used to drive a Jeep. Quick question, do you "have" to run 93 or a combination?

Mante78

Reaction score
I have a friend that had a Commander and hated it. Always cast lustful glances at my LR3 and commented multiple times that is what they really wanted. It did not tow well according to them, but that may not be the case across the board.

In my experience the people that did not enjoy towing with anything with the 5.7L under the hood USUALLY didnt get it. They opted for the weaker 4.7L :stupid: (with flex fuel) or even worse the v6 :stupid: I would love to know what was the issue with towing for that person.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, do you "have" to run 93 or a combination?

No you don't. mine gets 87 or 89 and hasn't complained.
Seriously, just get the LR3. I have no idea whether or not it tows better than the Jeep, but the difference would be negligible. And the 95% of the time you aren't towing? Oh my, the LR is waaay nicer. Just get the warranty - hmmm, can you get a warranty if it's already out of the factory one? I don't know...

Mante78

Reaction score
No you don't. mine gets 87 or 89 and hasn't complained.
Seriously, just get the LR3. I have no idea whether or not it tows better than the Jeep, but the difference would be negligible. And the 95% of the time you aren't towing? Oh my, the LR is waaay nicer. Just get the warranty - hmmm, can you get a warranty if it's already out of the factory one? I don't know...

First off.. Mods/admins sorry not sure why the triple posts..sorry.

You get no arguement from me that the lr3 is nicer then the jeep.. it is no question. I wouldnt dare get one if wasnt covered by the factory warranty. At least for a year. I have driven the lr3.. DII years past, it has always been a favorite of mine.

Thanks for the heads up on using 87, that makes me feel ALOT better..

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not towed my 23' Boat further than 45 miles yet, so I cant say exactly what the mileage is. Unladen, the 'dream meter' typically shows 18mpg. With the boat it reads 16mpg. Both of these readings are at 65mph. I run 89oct 100% of time, no problems. YMMV.

BTW - The Commander is scheduled to discontinue production next year, according to Chrysler-Fiat's new 5-year restructuring plan.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, do you "have" to run 93 or a combination?

Per my owners manual (05 V8) you are supposed to run premium fuel only. You can run mid or regualar but only at a loss of performance and effieciecy. I run premium fuel only for this reason and when it isn't availble (ie. out in the middle of nowhere Oregon) I get the best fuel I can. I also can easily break the 20mpg mark with street tires on the highway and loaded.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 89 oct with no problems. However, I am at 4,551' elevation. The dealership told me 89 oct was fine here, but if I ever went to lower elevations I should probably use premium.

I get close to 22 mpg on the freeway.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 89 oct with no problems. However, I am at 4,551' elevation. The dealership told me 89 oct was fine here, but if I ever went to lower elevations I should probably use premium.

I get close to 22 mpg on the freeway.

The elevation here in the City of Roses is between 150 & 600ft I believe...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick