Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only problem wiht the LR3 towing is that you have to watch your tongue weight. That is a limiting factor as you cannot use a WDH.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I figured it's better then creating a new one?

So, I was dreaming about pulling a 25 or even 27' Airstream because of high towing capacity of my LR4 but realized I've got only 550lb max tongue weight and it's barely enough to pull a 19' one.

Can someone explain why I can't use the WDH (weight distributing hitch) on LR3/4?

I see that there is an aftermarket trailer hitch on ebay and it says it can support 8000lb towing and 800 tongue weight if WDH is used and 6000/600 if not used. Any advise on that?

Mante78

Reaction score
I cant speak on the exact part you found BUT if you found it on ebay (not amazon, or some other online store) chances are the specs are "stretched". Towing a load is not something you wnat to do with skeptical parts..

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Looks like in general WDH will increase the max tonque weight allowed but problem is WDH it self is tough on the air suspension and also the unique removable hitch design of LR3/4 is not suitable for WDH either. I am finding other posts that explains why WDH is not a good idea etc... bummer. What is it good for having a 7700lb towing capacity when tongue weight will limit you to just half of that or so???

patsy

Reaction score
I'm with you tip74. I was really hoping my LR4 could at least pull a 23' airstream, but I'm finding it's only realistic for it to handle a 19' Bambi (due to the tongue weight restriction). It's very discouraging, especially since the LR4 boasts a 7700 lb. towing capacity. However, I suppose towing a mid-size or greater travel trailer is not the intended use of the LR4, it's off-roading.

Mante78

Reaction score
Tip74: I agree it is almost misleading on the part of L.R to add that selling point only to be let down.

Patsy: Lr4 is for offroading but I have yet to see a Lr4 or even a Lr3 on something besides a dirt road, there are a few out there but sadly they have been deemed pavement pounders.

All in all those months of my research I didnt even get the Jeep Commander or the LR, I ended up getting a Excursion diesel. My towing needs (weekly hauls up and down the east coast) almost made it a requirement. 12k max..average load of 9k cruise set at 70mph maintaining 18.2 mpg... aka sweet spot! lol

patsy

Reaction score
Mante78: Nice move. What are the towing limitations (capacity and tongue weight on your X? I understand you can use a weight distribution system on the X...true?
I still love my LR4. I just know I'm going to need to make some sacrifices when it comes to my travel trailer.

Mante78

Reaction score
With WD tongue weight goes up to 1250 I believe, max load of 12k that is with the factory 3.73? rear end. I put the ? as I believe it is 3.73 but its been awhile since I've looked into it and I'm not 100% sure so vs be wrong I'm leaving room for error lol I've seen Ex's with the 7.3L tow loads that exceeded 15k with no problems just adding a programmer to compensate!

I love the LR, I've driven at least 6 to date..Havent driven the Lr4, scratch that I have...My wife was initially upset that I didnt get the Lr3 but after a quick 250 mile drive to Great wolf in PA she fell in love with it. Double edge sword but she can take every bag, purse, duffle bag she can find cause I can never say "we're running out of space".

My next suv will be a LR better believe it!!

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw the 550lb tongue weight restriction. There is an airstream dealer in Canada that specialized in custom towing solution and successfully have towed long 27-35' airstreams with cars, minivans and crossovers not designed to tow anything over 4000lbs.

so I am going to pursue this. An after market hitch made by Curt for LR3 supports 8000lb and 800 tongue weight with weight distribution. With little bit of welding additional pieces of metals to the hitch area, I don't see a reason I can't pull a 27' airstream which has 7600 lbs weight fully loaded with 1500lbs of cargo. If I balance the load carefully, I shouldn't exceed too much from 770lb dry tongue weight and still be about 10-12% tongue to trailer weight ratio for the sway control.

I have a surround camera system with special tow assist feature. This truck is specifically designed and built to tow and I am planning to use it that way :biggrin:

patsy

Reaction score
tjp74: i'm glad your pursuing other towing options for the LR3/4. i'm very interested in what you find with the airstream dealer in canada. there must be other towing solutions which would allow us to pull loads within capacity, but greater than the 550 tongue weight.

if what you say is true, then i would be more than willing to make a trip to the great white north to customize my LR4 hitch. my only concern would be safety. i wouldn't want to jeopardize my passengers or others on the road in an effort to have a larger travel trailer.

please keep us posted on your findings! if it was a possibility to pull 25' airstream with my LR4, i'd be extremely interested in finding out more.

thanks for the info...it's very encouraging!

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safety will be my top concern. I have to little girls. And the safety of public as well.

This is the Canadian airstream dealer.
http://www.canamrv.ca/~canamrvc/towing/car-videos/intrepid-towing-airstream/

as you can see, they are using a Dodge Intrepid and Chrysler 300C to pull a huge airstream and doing emergency lane change test at 74km/h. Judging from 3 rows of wheels on the airstream, it's got to be 30' or longer.

LR4 has 4090lb max rear axle load. With vehicle curb weight being 5659lb plus 4 passengers and some cargo (~550lb total) and 49.1/50.9 front and rear weight ratio, my calculation shows about 3200lb will be placed on the rear and that leaves about 920lb and I think that's enough to support 800lb tongue weight even without the weight distribution hitch. With weight distribution hitch, some of 800lb weight will be transferred to front axle so that leaves more room for rear axle to handle. So with correct hitch, even 900lb tongue weight shouldn't be an issue.

I compared LR4's curb weight, axle load, max GVW and torque to some of full size SUV and pickup trucks that have higher towing capacity and LR4's spec is quite comparable or even better. I think LR4's 7700lb towing capacity is conservative and limited to it's unique removable hitch design which is more for convenience then durability. Instead of it's factory bumper mounted hitch design, correctly reinforced frame mounted aftermarket design should be more then enough to handle 8000lb/800tw easy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72