Traffic Message Channel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

On our recently purchased 2012 LR4 HSE, the traffic message channel (TMC) icon within the navigation screen consistently has a red slash through it (which the manual states means it isn't receiving the TMC). I've done some research, and we definitely have local radio stations that transmit TMC. In addition, I've seen other LR4s locally that show the icon without the red slash. I've also driven to Denver and even there it wouldn't remove the red slash (were located in Colorado Springs).

Is there something we have to do to make that feature work? Is it subscription based? If so, what do we need to buy? Or is there a special tuning method that has to be done?

TIA.

-Rich

Edit: forgot to mention - I do have TMC turned on as the manual states.

jeffdude

Reaction score
Its pushed based upon your location. In my little town of holland, MI we receive the data from Grand Rapids stations. Then when I drive to Green Bay I will keep getting the feeds all the way until I am about 20 miles out of GB and then I loose the feature. Assuming GB stations are not transmitting TMC.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its pushed based upon your location. In my little town of holland, MI we receive the data from Grand Rapids stations. Then when I drive to Green Bay I will keep getting the feeds all the way until I am about 20 miles out of GB and then I loose the feature. Assuming GB stations are not transmitting TMC.
Thanks. That's what I'm struggling with - I know we have stations that transmit it, and I've even seen other LR4s for sale here that it works on (plus my previous BMW used it and it worked well). So I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing - do I need a subscription? Do I need to tune into one of those radio stations for x-hours? Is there something broken on it? Is it XM based?

-Rich

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this will fix it, but when's the last time you tuned to an FM radio station (any radio station)? The idea is that the TMC transceiver may have stopped receiving due to your FM radio tuner not being operated for a long time. So, turn on your favorite Classic Rock FM station and let it play for a half hour or so, see if that revives the TMC system. Doesn't make much sens to me, but apparently it worked for this owner: http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/traffic-monitoring-system-data-comes-via-fm.25924

XM definitely has got nothing to do with it, and the service is free if your area is covered by a participating FM radio station - no subscription or activation required.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are awesome. Thank you - I had searched, but somehow didn't see this. We'll try this (we never use FM).

Thanks again.

-Rich

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this will fix it, but when's the last time you tuned to an FM radio station (any radio station)? The idea is that the TMC transceiver may have stopped receiving due to your FM radio tuner not being operated for a long time. So, turn on your favorite Classic Rock FM station and let it play for a half hour or so, see if that revives the TMC system. Doesn't make much sens to me, but apparently it worked for this owner: http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/traffic-monitoring-system-data-comes-via-fm.25924

XM definitely has got nothing to do with it, and the service is free if your area is covered by a participating FM radio station - no subscription or activation required.

What Umberto said. Had the same problem as I never listen to FM. Tuned into FM for about an hour and was good to go for a while. IIRC, I had to do this once in a while. And if I was up on the Colorado mountains for a week or more I sometimes lost the "connection" and would go through the process again.

Also, I did not find the traffic info to be as accurate or current as Google Maps can sometimes be. But in general and on major roads/interstates it is pretty good. There were probably a dozen times (over a 2 year period) on long road trips when I have navigation engaged it would let me know that there was an issue ahead and we were able to redirect the route.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the TMC only visible during navigation direction? b/c I'm in the DC area and I don't see the traffic on the NAV screen

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...XM definitely has got nothing to do with it, and the service is free if your area is covered by a participating FM radio station - no subscription or activation required.
Ahh ha! I was going to ask the same question.

I don't really use the XM and thought I'd need to keep a subscription for traffic data.

Free traffic data streamed to cars. Who knew!

For NAV, I usually use Waze, but I'm still struggling to find a good place to mount my iPhone in the LR4 that doesn't block the GPS antenna. I currently have it on a magnet mount halfway down the console, but either the magnet or the phone location kills the GPS reception regularly. I can use a vent mount, but I've found that over time it'll break the vent louvers out of the plastic. So I'm looking for another option. In the meantime, the NAV traffic is a nice backup.

is the TMC only visible during navigation direction? b/c I'm in the DC area and I don't see the traffic on the NAV screen
Works for me in the DC area. I've only used it during Navigation routing, though, so I don't recall if it just shows up on the map without.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV