Trailer Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
@cperez -- I may had made another mistake because I freed the plugs from the clip on the inside of the side compartment to install. After I finally figured out the plugs. I just snuggled them back into the compartment.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ClearwaterScott, I would not sweat that. I did the same thing. I couldn't find any way to access the connectors without removing them from their fir-tree attachment points. Once I got everything connected, the wiring bundle was pretty stiff and there was no way I was going to easily get things reattached. I decided that nothing was really "loose" up there and would not move around. I have not had any issues with the install. It'll be our little secret. :listen:

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my AB wiring kit came with some foam tape and a couple of zip ties with the little tree attachment nuts to secure stuff. I remember that being the biggest PITA of the install because the wires really didn't want to bend into place until I cussed at them a lot.

Regarding brake controller, as mentioned it's the same plug Ford uses. I have a Tekonsha Voyager I used in an 04 F250, 05 F150, and now the LR4.

tow_lol.jpg

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
@BrandonM7 -- I don't yet have the stomach to dive into the brake controller. Have the hitch mystery to resolve first so I can pick up trailer Saturday. Its fine tow without the controller but as things grow I will indeed be retracing the steps.

Btw-- awesome picture. It feels right. Making me jealous just looking.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BrandonM7 -- I don't yet have the stomach to dive into the brake controller. Have the hitch mystery to resolve first so I can pick up trailer Saturday. Its fine tow without the controller but as things grow I will indeed be retracing the steps.

Btw-- awesome picture. It feels right. Making me jealous just looking.

The brake controller is honestly a cake walk - like I said, it just plugs right in. You just need a Tekonsha controller and 3035-P adapter so it will plug straight into the plug already under your dash. You don't even have to mount it, actually -- the little plastic valence down below your knees has two grooves in it just in front of the plug with a piece of foam stuck on the back side of it - you just slide the bracket on the top of the controller over that section and it sits happy just down by your right knee. You literally just plug it in and hang it when you need to use it. Pretty awesome, actually.

This is what I have, and this package bundles the controller and the adapter so it's everything you'd need - https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...LR4&hhyear=2012&vehicleid=201233366&hunter=bc

Believe it or not, the LR4 doesn't break a sweat pulling that big ugly monster around. It's easily a 6000lb pull, probably closer to 6500. The 4Runner has a bunch of heavy steel bits added and the trailer is built like a brick outhouse. It requires the trailer brakes, but everything pulls even better than my '05 F150 with the "big tow" package pulled it. Probably because of the two extra gears in the transmission, the electronic sway control stuff, and the self-leveling from the air suspension. It definitely generates lots of smiles and laughs when I roll up into the off-road parks pulling that big ugly monster behind a Land Rover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi