Transferbox in neutral (car wont' move)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vanmartin

Reaction score
Hello,

Have a RR 2003. It was driving ok after it was parked for a while the engine will start in park and neutral. there is no drive and when moving gear change from drive to park it grinds. when the ignition is switched on a warning that transfer box is in neutral.
any ideas ?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are not in gear in the transfer case.. try moving it.

vanmartin

Reaction score
thanks, tried that but it didn't work. I actually took it to the dealer and they told me that the transmission was busted. I find it very difficult to believe given that it was working fine before the battery died....thoughts?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time for a second opinion.
Let us know what you find.
By the way, what fault coded or tests were found/done by the dealer to diagnois this problem, find out.

vanmartin

Reaction score
Big surprise yesterday. I had the car towed to my house from the dealer and all of a sudden the RR works!!!....These guys must've reset something that made it work. They were charging me $5,500 + for a new transmission. What a rip-off!!, I'm really upset!. I guess they never thought I was going to tow it back out of the shop.

My advise from this experience will be to never bring a non-warranty vehicle to the dealer.

thanks for the feedback.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have your battery checked, Rover tend to have issues if the battery starts to go bad. Have it load tested, voltage doesn't mean a thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV