Transmission fault, HDC, lowered suspension height -- resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teranett

Reaction score
Hi All .. thanks for all the posts here in the forum! I have been experiencing the issues mentioned above and it's been easy to purchase the right brake switch for my 2006 Range Rover Sport and helped minimize the replacement time. It took me about 15 mins. to remove and replace the new brake switch (which was pretty simple .. more difficult to remove and replace the access panel). After I removed the original part, I opened it up and there is definitely evidence of arching in the switch. I have intermittently experienced the "Tree of Death". I'm hoping the brake switch replacement rectifies the problem. I will update the forum in a month or so to let you all know if this resolved my problem.

teranett

Reaction score
Update on "replacement of Brake Switch for intermittent "Tree of Death"

UPDATE: It's been about 6 months since I replaced the brake switch for my intermittent "tree of death" issue. I haven't experienced the problem since replacing the brake switch! It was absolutely the cause of the problem.

I cannot believe LR would engineer a car to create such a catastrophic failure for an issue like this.
Couldn't they just have designed it that you receive a "Brake" failure and not have all the other systems affected by it?
Well, nothing we can do about it for our legacy LR;s and RR's.

I also just resolved an intermittent problem with cold starting, but I'll post that in a separate Forum.

Cheers!

Last edited:

nivekau

Reaction score
I had the same "Error Tree" problem the other day on my LR3 4L SE.

Same warnings as everyone else, with suspension lowered, transmission fault, park brake fault, limited gears available etc etc

I cleared the faults with IID tool, but it happened again straight away.

I should add that I have been having intermittent HDC faults, with transmission fault and limited gears etc for months (ever since a dealer changed my faulty petrol pump).

Usually I am able to turn the car off, start again and the faults do not display, although the engine warning light stays on. After a few more starts the engine light goes off and all is well until it happens again.

But the other day it was different. The faults didn't clear.

Anyway, I replaced the brake light switch (part# XKB 500110) after finding this very useful thread, and all was good. I assumed the previous faults were all associated with the park brake switch.

Today however I hopped in the car and it happened again. I turned the car off. Started it again and the faults didn't come up but the engine warning light is on. The car runs fine.

I'm now wondering if I had two issues and have resolved one with the new brake light switch but there is still another issue unresolved?

Any ideas?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
engine warning MIL light might be unrelated

When there is a fault, real or otherwise, most often before a light or message appears, unless it is a real serious one, low oil pressure, that sort of thing, for the most part, the computer stores a bunch of the fault codes before it decides to display one or more.

Then when the problem is resolved, the fault codes are still remembered within the computers unless they were manually cleared via a dealer T4 or Faultmate, IID etc.

As such, there is a time delay between fixing the problem and the faults self clearing themselves. Hence be patient.

If the light is what I call the MIL light, (that engine shaped light), it may just be something false or some emissions thing. Years ago, I had the light illuminate right after a dealer oil change for who knows why. It eventually cleared itself and have not seen it since.

In your case, you can go in an clear the MIL with your IID and if it keeps coming on, then it will be something emissions related. The engine light is what I call the original computer light before all else followed and it is usually just emissions stuff - could even be a gas cap loose.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the brake light scenario including transmission fault specifically with limited gears...makes me think your fault is different.

Last edited:

nivekau

Reaction score
In your case, you can go in an clear the MIL with your IID ....

I did that when I changed the brake light switch.

There has been nothing for the last few days, so maybe it has settled down.

It's like it's alive and has moods! Maybe LandRover have created a car with artificial intelligence :)

I don't remember the brake light scenario including transmission fault specifically with limited gears...makes me think your fault is different.

That's my thinking. Obviously I need to keep a record of exactly what faults are registering, but there are so many of them!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not be AI!

It's like it's alive and has moods! Maybe Land Rover has created a car with artificial intelligence :)
It may not be anything as complicated as AI - it may instead, be a mistress.:biggrin:

jadebutta

Reaction score
I appreciate this forum so much. I just ran into this exact same issue with the Transmission fault, HDC and Lowered suspension. I replaced the brake light switch and all my problems went away. These sure are some crazy vehicles but I love my Rover!:stupid:

OMG, this forum saved me alot of money today. Had the exact same issue with my 2006 LR LR3 and fixed it today (proudly by myself).
At NAPA the stop switch cost about $20 and autozone it cost $38 but both had to be ordered, so I opted to purchase fr LR. It was about $80 but they sold it to me for $65 and I can happily say my rover is back up and running great.
Thanks guys:smile:

Spud

Reaction score
Ours turned out to be the EGR valves causing the problem, as ours is a 2008 we had to replace the valves with new ones. Apparently older L3's can blank the EGR valves off, so typically ours was the expensive repair! All good now though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72