Transmission fault, HDC, lowered suspension height -- resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assume you have the 4.4L V8?

I just replaced what I call the PCV valve but I guess is called a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve as I had my MIL light going on.

... or maybe it is call the EGR valve, Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.

Whatever it is called, , mine was a round black disc about 3" in diameter by maybe 1" thick max, with one 3/8" port each, top and bottom for two rubber hoses to connect to.

I think that has resolved my concern as well.

I also would like to know the correct name of it.

Spud

Reaction score
Just a lowly diesel, EGR valves are part of the emision system there are two of them in fitted inline in both exhaust systems, I think they were £160 each so not a cheap fix when the labour charge was added, but all fixed and been running fine for the laso 4 months!:biggrin:

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got it bbyer. On the petrol V8, it's a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR part number LR003380

Thanks, I found it now; pictures below and yes, this is for the petrol 4.4 litre V8 engine and what was installed. The MIL engine check light has not gone on for the last couple of days so maybe the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve was the problem.

Attachments

• PCV Valve LR003380 view bottom.JPG
    PCV Valve LR003380 view bottom.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 30
  • PCV Valve LR003380 view top.JPG
    PCV Valve LR003380 view top.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bbyer, what was the cost for that sucker?

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, PCV valve is about $50-60 and takes literally 2 mins to replace. Compare that to my L322 which takes hours to do and it's obvious that Ford people may have had a little more common sense than the BMW folks. :p

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, almost fun to replace

My cost here in Canada was about seventy five Canadian however in the States per above, it runs about fifty to sixty US dollars.

And yes, taking the black plastic engine cover off is harder than replacing the PCV valve - for once.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bbyer, what was the LR3 doing before you replaced this? Check Engine light or what? Not sure what MIL light is....is this something that I should just do, before this occurs? Maybe low-hanging fruit like the front diff breather upgrade. Please advise. Thanks.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Malfunction Indicator Light aka Engine Check Light

I guess once upon a time, the emission law guys called for a Malfunction Indicator Light to illuminate on the dash of all applicable vehicles.

The symbol got the shape of an Engine, hence the more common name now of Engine Check Light.

The LR3 was what I call happy; the only indication of a problem was the light going on and with a 3, that never much excites me; well it annoys me, but the game as usual is to figure out if a light means anything other than unhappiness.

When checking/reading codes prior to clearing then, I would get either a P0171 or P0174, or both. The codes call up as lean mixture left or right engine cylinder banks.

I guess in reality this means too rich a mixture rather than too lean if that is the problem at all.

Common solutions are replace the PCV valve, remap the Engine Computer, find what little emission hose is leaking; clean/replace the MAP sensor and a few other things such as the oil dip stick is leaking or the oil fill cap is not tight and hence there is a wrong pressure in the crankcase. The good news is the engine does not get damaged if you ignore the problem whereas with the front differential breather plugged, you ultimately become an expert on front differential repair / replacement.

As to preventive, about all you can do to perhaps head this off MIL light illumination is replace the PCV valve say every five years or so and clean the MAP sensor every so often. For hose leaks, gasket leaks or similar, you pretty much wait and try to find the leak once the light illuminates.

Below is a good link re the codes and possible solutions.

https://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0171-and-P0174

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems though then, that I can wait until I get a CEL, read it with my IIDTool, and go from there. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72