Transmission fault, HDC, lowered suspension height -- resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, everything to do with the brake light switch

I presume you read my post #58 above with regards to the two sets of contacts on the brake light switch so yes, ABS etc is tied to the operation of or lack of, of the brake light switch contacts.

I note you have a 2011 RRS, which I presume still has the same electrical setup as the early Sports, but am not certain.

Regardless, I would be installing a new brake light switch as it is relatively easy and cheap. The switch currently installed is probably the original and about four years old however I do think LR has improved the contacts on the newer switches since 2005 - one would hope so anyway.

When you remove the old switch, take it apart and see if there is black dust all over the contacts. If so, then that suggests deterioration of at least one pair of contacts and contamination on the other set. One of the pictures in the link below shows typical contamination buildup. If there is no dust, replacement of the switch was still a good idea but it may not be the solution. Please keep us posted. Remove the three spaces from the URL below.

http://www. disco3. co. uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

MelindaL51

Reaction score
I am so glad to find this. I just got an 06 LR3 two weeks ago and the other day it started showing the HDC and suspension warning and lights, then would go off, back on, off---on again, but was afraid there was something horribly wrong, I've got my fingers crossed it's the same simple fix as the rest of you have mentioned!

drock83

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask. I have a 07 lr3 that is giving a issue with the speed control sensor in the tranny. The mechanic wants 3500 plus for the part and labour. I found a used tranny from a 08 lr3 from our insurance companys salvage yard. My question is are these interchangable, im asking cause the machanic says they aren't interchangable and that the computer wont accept the tranny from the 08 lr3. The tranny from the salvage yard i can get for 1500. Half the cost of the one new part. I find it hard to beleive that these parts from the same make and model wont work. Can anyone clarify on this and why. is there something i can do to reprogram the computer? Ir is he just saying this so he can get more mooolahs off me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect your mechanic is correct. There are so many subtle changes between vehicles that you are lucky if you can get anything used to talk to something existing - even light bulbs. 2007 to 2008 might communicate, but for certain, 2007 to 2009 would not. The 2009 vehicles software wise were prototype 2010 LR4's.

The link below is to some info on the ZF trannys; I presume the problem is presumed to be in what is called the Mechantronic - there are some files on it within the link but they will not be of much help.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5059

drock83

Reaction score
I suspect your mechanic is correct. There are so many subtle changes between vehicles that you are lucky if you can get anything used to talk to something existing - even light bulbs. 2007 to 2008 might communicate, but for certain, 2007 to 2009 would not. The 2009 vehicles software wise were prototype 2010 LR4's.

The link below is to some info on the ZF trannys; I presume the problem is presumed to be in what is called the Mechantronic - there are some files on it within the link but they will not be of much help.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5059
Ty for your reply thats sooo weird why would a company do that. Im a domestic guy in canada so this is sooo odd to me. Thanks though

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Phil Penhaligan

Reaction score
I was seeing HDC fault and Transmission error on my 2008 RR Sport TDV8. I found this thread. Located the brake switch, removed it, and managed to open it. If you use a stanley knife you can carefully remove the blue cover. Inside there is a circular contact on a spring. It has two contacts at the top and one was black. I cleaned it using electrical solvent and scraped it with a screwdriver. I then put it all back together and hey presto problem solved! Thanks for the very useful posts!!! :)

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the existing is a good idea, but what many do is purchase and install a new switch and then keep the removed in their spares box - you will need it someday.

The good news is that I think the new switches with the FoMoCo logo in place of the Land Rover logo are actually better switches. The original part number was XKB500030. Re the new part number switch XKB500110, I think the contacts within were upgraded.

If you really want to experiment, you might try the Ford part number SW-6572 per the link below.
There is an argument to say it is also the XKB500110. Count the number of electrical connector pins on it, (should be four), to make certain that within, it contains the two seperate sets of contacts.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_02071_1434303_-1&pt=02071&ppt=C0039

phillip5690

Reaction score
2010 range rover sport supercharged

I am getting all those messages.. Transmission fault, suspension lowering, Amber brake light on, HDC/traction control light off and low range light flashing. On top of that, every time i put the car in park, the parking brake activates and will not release unless i apply the brake and push the Parking Park button. I took this to the dealer, they ran all the codes and cleared everything saying nothing is wrong. Brought it back home, 30 mile drive and after turning it off and on 10 minutes later.. all warning lights came back on. these lights were coming and going. The next day i drove it back to the dealer, they diagnosed again and said the my transfer case oil is old and needs replacement. I said go ahead. Now they call me today and say the car is stuck in Low Range and it will not come out. They are telling me i need to replace the transfer case. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? The car was driving fine in high range until they changed the oil. Is this something they did wrong?

Would replacing the brake light switch solve this situation, because they are saying no it will not. Someone please help!!!! :(

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the brake light switch and then clear all the codes again.

Your dealer is probably pretty good at doing warrenty repairs on new vehicles, but older ones, well they have different problems that most dealers have never seen. Eventually you will have to find an independent who works on Land Rover. Guys who do Audi, and BMW are the type you are looking for.

The fact that near all the trouble lights illuminated and then after a first code clearing, all was good for awhile is typical of the second set of brake light contacts, the NC ones that send a milliamp signal to the ABS circuits wearing out. Worn contacts send an intermittent chattering type signal to the ABS and that is interpreted as something really bad and very unsafe, but in reality, all false.

My guess is the transfer case might come out of low range if your foot was on the brake and the tranny in neutral. Your foot on the brake would open the contacts. I suspect the dealer is attempting to change the transfer case range while the tranny is in Park, and hence it is not necessary to have ones foot on the brake so the defective contacts are doing nasty things to the computers. If you follow the brake switch wiring diagram in the link below out from the ABS, you will see how it is connected back to the operation of the brakes - part of the downhill speed/engine/brake retarder circuitry which only LR has and hence .....

The way the error code system works is that for the most part, the 3 will not shut down on a single error code. Instead, for an alert to be annunciated, an error code has to be generated a number of times within a driving cycle. Also the error codes tend to "fall off" or self erase over time as sort of a self cleaning procedure to cancel false codes.

That is why you were able to drive for some distance prior to the second shutdown.

In short, you do not need a new transfer case. You have minor problem that as is typical, is near impossible to find but once figured out, easy and cheap to fix.

Below is the link to the brake switch change procedure in my album. There is quite a bit of material there.

I note the actual brake switch change instructions file now has over 4,000 views - a new switch can do wonders and even if it does not fix your problem, it will stop new ones from appearing - but I think it might be the solution.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

hollygcape

Reaction score
Alright, so I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3 V8, 110k miles. About a month ago the car completely dropped, started throwing an amber suspension light, bounced all over the place so we took it to a local dealer, apparently it was the compressor and a small air leak. Both were fixed. On our way to the dealer the radiator blew (just our luck), so the car was towed and that was also replaced. About a week later the car started overheating (again, my our luck), leaking coolant, and throwing the amber suspension light again. Turned out to be the water pump gasket, that was replaced. Once the water pump was fixed, not even 2 days later the LR3 started throwing a RED suspension fault: do not exceed 30 mph. That next day the front dropped and the back stayed raised. Now when you start the car an amber suspension light immediately comes on. Once you hit 25 mph it throws a red suspension fault: do not exceed 30 mph. We checked over the LR3 ourselves and found that the front valve block was broken. We replaced it. The car then raised to normal height, acted fine for about 10 minutes and then threw an amber suspension light. Not even 30 minutes later the front sank back down. The car is obviously unstable due to the back being over raised and the front not raising at all. It's bouncing again, I assume that's also because it's unstable. Trying to wrap my head around what else it could possibly be. It isn't showing any codes and the 4x4 info menu isn't showing that a sensor is out. The only thing I can think of is another air leak or an air bag. HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT! I have googled my life away and can't find where any one else has had this problem or similar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV