turning off daytime bi-xenons / on board computer ecu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bi-xenons come on immediately at start up and don't turn off until the 'follow me home light' function runs its course. The headlamp setting doesn't matter, they still come on. It appears to me that the bi-xenons are set in the D3 onboard computer to act as daytime running lights. I'd like to have my dealer turn them off during next service. For those of you that have knowledge of the D3's computer system - is it fairly easy to go into a menu and un-select the bi-xenons as daytime running lights? I'm trying to understand how involved it is to turn them off in the event the dealer tries to charge me for labor. Thanks in advance!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you are configured for use in Canada: mandatory daytime lights. The dealer can switch this via test book. So, they'd need to at least plug in. It's within their right to charge you a labor minimum if this isn't a warranty fix... maybe you'll get lucky.

(Why were you configured for daytime running lights in the first place?)

Last edited:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why its configured for day time running lights, its always been this way. I always thought all LR3's were configured this way, until I noticed none of the others I have seen have their bi-xenons lit up during the day. I have an '05 HSE. Should turning this setting off via test book take the dealer 10 minutes or 2 hours? Is it complicated or rather easy? Just trying to anticipate their response to my request of turning this setting off. They owe me a favor and if its easy I should have some leverage. Thanks!

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer should hook up car to computer with each service. If so, this is only a matter of a few extra keystrokes. If no other hook up, then it's a special service for them. So, I advise that you just see if they'll change it (since you never knew it could be otherwise) during your next visit that involves a computer hook up for some other purpose.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I'll update with results

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer has confirmed that it was configured for Canadian driving - full time bi-xenon. They claim they cannot turn them off via test book. Is this true? Are Canadian LR3's wired so that bi-xenons cannot be turned off?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading about a customer in the US who wanted Canadian DRLs turned on on his RRS last year - although they are not required here he wanted them on for personal safety reasons. The dealer tried to do it (for a fee) but did say that the Canadian and Scandinavian DRL options had been grayed out on recent IDS software versions, although they were available in the past... So, the opposite may also be true - once enabled at the factory they can no longer be disabled. I'm sure it's a liability thing, but the bottom line is that they made a mistake with your car and someone up the chain of command should be able to fix it. There has got to be a way to modify the CCF somehow, but the dealer may not be able or knowledgeable enough to do so with their regular diagnostics tools.

Vermouth

Reaction score
I have a US LR3 that was imported into Canada. It was a non-issue for the dealer to activate the mandatory day-time running lights after import. I can't see why it would not work the same in reverse.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original answer stands. Your service guy is clueless. :stupid:

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 2006 LR3 imported into Canada. Took the dealer about 2.5 minutes to enable DRL. I would suspect just as easy to disable.

Anyone know if the fog lights can be configured as the DRL as to not stress out my Xenons? That is how my Audi is setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA