Two LR4 Questions (Windshield & USB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two easy ones on my new used 2013 LR4...

WINDSHIELD
The car VIN says it has the heated front windshield. It has the little front windshield button with the electric bolt going through it. I push that button it lights up.

When I look at the windshield I can't see the fine zig zag wire lines that I can on my LR3 windshield.
Did they change the design of this, or is it likely my windshield was replaced with a standard one instead of the heated? Wasn't sure if the wires are much finer or they do it a different way.

USB
Am I correct in assuming the USB and iPAD ports under the center console lid do NOT charge the phone? My phone thinks it is being charged, but it is actually getting drained. Both ports work as an input for audio though and come up on my NAV screen.

I guess I'm limited to the rear USB port (which does charge) or buying a cig lighter adapter.

Dropped the truck off today to get the wheels, vents and grill painted matte charchoal. We'll see how it goes!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like your windshield was replaced at some point and not supplied the correct one.
kerrrrraaaaap. I was thinking that since the light still goes on, maybe I was mistaken and they made the lines harder to see.

I'll have to see if this was on the CarMax sticker or not. If so, I may be able to put in the one I paid for. That heated windshield is a nice feature (that probably wasn't appreciated by the original owner...since it came up from Florida)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The iPod port under the armrest on my 2013 keeps my iPod charged (I have a 160GB iPod Classic that I just leave velcroed in there 24/7.) Not sure it would have enough juice to charge an iPad, though.

For my Android phone I use a USB cigar lighter adapter, it's so much easier to reach than to fiddle with the USB input under the armrest. I have never tried using that port for anything but USB thumb drives with music on them.

Last edited:

sgh71

Reaction score
The iPod port under the armrest on my 2013 keeps my iPod charged (I have a 160GB iPod Classic that I just leave velcroed in there 24/7.) Not sure it would have enough juice to charge an ipad
I have the same ipod in the same place with Velcro! TWINKIES!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USB
Am I correct in assuming the USB and iPAD ports under the center console lid do NOT charge the phone? My phone thinks it is being charged, but it is actually getting drained. Both ports work as an input for audio though and come up on my NAV screen.

I guess I'm limited to the rear USB port (which does charge) or buying a cig lighter adapter.

Dropped the truck off today to get the wheels, vents and grill painted matte charchoal. We'll see how it goes!

Mine charges my iPhone while I stream music from my iTunes Match account, or otherwise when it's just connected.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine charges my iPhone while I stream music from my iTunes Match account, or otherwise when it's just connected.
Either port (USB or iPad) that's under the lid? Odd, while my phone shows it's charging...it doesn't actually charge. The USB next to the rear AUX works fine, though. I wonder if there is a fuse blown somewhere in mine.

That's a good idea from you guys about leaving a memory stick of MP3s plugged into the USB port, though. I didn't know you could do that.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it charges from either port, I believe.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kerrrrraaaaap. I was thinking that since the light still goes on, maybe I was mistaken and they made the lines harder to see.

I'll have to see if this was on the CarMax sticker or not. If so, I may be able to put in the one I paid for. That heated windshield is a nice feature (that probably wasn't appreciated by the original owner...since it came up from Florida)

Just wow man! Don't want to get you too wound up if it's too late to claim false advertisement but I'd be furious. The heated one is worth 2-3x and from my experience with every damn glass shop saying "uh, non-factory glass is no different...." they're all full of ****. Allowed myself to give it a shot on the Audi and it was total crap.

Even the shape in profile looked odd but things didn't line up like they should and there was some flaw so I had it removed and Audi factory stamped glass put in.

Then I found a glass guy who is just his own business charging a little more but all on site and extremely good workmanship, explained it's somewhat of a gamble on the off brand stuff but factory stamped gets high even degree of quality control to pass. Could even be from same manufacturer depending on car makes, etc. anyway, I'll never go cheap on it again.

Hope you get that worked out. Just saying don't let them **** talk you into off brand crap because they are ONLY trying to save themselves $ while you're the one who'll spend next 1000 hrs looking through it ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut