Two LR4 Questions (Windshield & USB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, up until a few months ago, the iPod plug under the armrest worked great, and charged relatively quickly. Now, it shows it's charging, but really doesn't. Everything does connect....i supposed it might be a fuse. Anything plugged into the aux/cigarette slots charge fine. After owning the LR4 for 5 years, besides having to replace the homelink transmitter, this would be the only thing to go wrong with my truck. Clearly, Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, is no more!
Hmmm, yeah, I found that of the three USB ports in the LR4, they all charge slow. (two under the center console lid and the one in the rear of the box). I suspect they are just amp limited. However, if there is a fuse somewhere and it's blown, that'd be good to know.

I put a dual 2.1A unit in the cigarette lighter and it seems to be working fine.

Your POD reference is lost on me. :hmmmm2:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd and bromhead,

I have owned a 13 LR4 LUX (purchased new) and have gone thru this iPod/USB jacks not charging issue. I even had them look at it and replaced at one point. In the end it turned out to a non-issue and here is why:

The iPod/USB jacks simply do not provide enough juice to properly charge any modern devices. My older phone used to get charged without issues, once I got a new one, it sometimes would get properly charge and sometimes it wouldn't. I narrowed it down to how the phone is being used when connected to iPod/USB ports.

If I was using the navigation app, the phone' charge would drop from higher to lower battery remaining percentage level even while connected to the iPod/USB ports. If I was not using any app, the phone will get charged but very slowly. If I was using the phone as an iPod, the charge level might or might not increase at all, or might remain the same.

Therefore I kept a cig lighter charger in the car and it would charge the iPhone/iPod up really really quickly.

All of the above is still true for even my brand new MY16 LR4 Landmark. Hope this helps.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me this is no different than if it was supposed to have a matching full size spare but some asshole swapped a doughnut in there without Carmax noticing the problem.

I'd approach it first like: "hey, this was probably an oversite on your part not being familiar with the vehicle specifics, but based on (the heated seats or HSE, etc) it's supposed to have a heated windscreen ...and in fact that's how it was built from factory as you can see by VIN check, heated seats, dedicated button for windscreen, etc" and if they have deaf ears..."I wouldn't want to put us all through a falsely advertised/sold vehicle ordeal...let's just get me the correct factory window" don't mention the cost of it until you get them going in your direction. The issue isn't $ as much as proper equipment and such.

I agree with jwest above.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, I may have, actually I am pretty sure I do have the original MY13 brochure. Just have to look for it a bit, but I am sure I'll find it lying around somewhere.

I could scan and email you the related pages if you still need that. You could PM me your email and we'll go from there.

I have also owned an LR3 HSE for five or six years. The heater lines were very subtle and much finer in my 13 LR4 than what they were like in my 06 LR3, just FYI. So you may want to take a look at your windshield once again just in case.

Hope all works out man.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[Your POD reference is lost on me. :hmmmm2:[/QUOTE]

A while ago, Lucas Electronics used to handle a lot of the electrical work on the older land rovers. They received a reputation for failure.....leaving you in the dark...hence prince of darkness. Google it...there are tons of jokes out there, one of my favorites: Lucas invented the intermittent wiper, intermittent headlights, intermittent......................

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this post I did print out the manual provided in addition to my VIN lookup from Topix. Gave it to CarMax, noted that standard equipment was not in my vehicle, and it is currently being replaced without question. That's pretty good service in my view. I think most used car dealers would tell me it's "used", sold as-is, and unless I was within their 24-48 hour return period I'd be out of luck. CarMax has a 5 day period and a 30 day, fix anything period. Then you're in extended warranty land.

Anyway, new windshield is in (they still have the car) and I'll give up on the USB jacks providing power. They actually gave me a 2013 Chevy Traverse as a loaner, and it does the same thing re. charging. Although the Traverse has a much nicer infotainment GUI than the LR.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this post I did print out the manual provided in addition to my VIN lookup from Topix. Gave it to CarMax, noted that standard equipment was not in my vehicle, and it is currently being replaced without question. That's pretty good service in my view. I think most used car dealers would tell me it's "used", sold as-is, and unless I was within their 24-48 hour return period I'd be out of luck. CarMax has a 5 day period and a 30 day, fix anything period. Then you're in extended warranty land.

Anyway, new windshield is in (they still have the car) and I'll give up on the USB jacks providing power. They actually gave me a 2013 Chevy Traverse as a loaner, and it does the same thing re. charging. Although the Traverse has a much nicer infotainment GUI than the LR.

Thats awesome, man! Good job, Carmax. Thats really hassle-free service.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, how do you test a heated windshield install in summer?

The button lights up after the replacement. But it did the same thing when the windshield wasn't even installed.

I got some fog on my window last night, turned it on, but didn't see little clear lines appear in the fog. It was far from a controlled test, though, but it got me thinking. I'm not sure if the CarMax parts install warranty will run until winter or not, be nice to figure out if they nailed it now.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there not a temp at which it activates? Hopefully the installer hooked the wires up. It would be hard to imagine they would not notice a wire plug hanging off the new glass. Unless you can park in a meat locker and throw some water on you windshield you may not know until winter. How do the fuses look?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72