Two LR4 Questions (Windshield & USB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin G

Reaction score
Any resolution yet? I'm curious because I'm in a very similar boat. My 2012 LR4 HSE was the only green one for sale west of the Mississippi at the time, so finding out it didn't have the memory seats (and other LUX equipment) CarMax advertised nearly killed the deal. They dropped the price and upped my trade in, so I went ahead with it, and LOVE this thing.

Was relatively happy till I went to tow a trailer and realized that it didn't have the tow hitch or wiring harness either. Good thing I kept ALL my paperwork, as the listing print out showed "trailer towing package" too. It wasn't pretty but they finally agreed to pay for the hitch, harness and reprogramming, and done by a LR dealer too (their service staff is afraid to work on my LR4!)

So now I realize I have an aftermarket windshield too. If yours winds up working, at least I know what to specify when I get around to replacing it. Too late to have CarMax pay for it, but I am already ahead of the game: the warranty has paid for all new control arms and alignment!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any resolution yet? I'm curious because I'm in a very similar boat. My 2012 LR4 HSE was the only green one for sale west of the Mississippi at the time, so finding out it didn't have the memory seats (and other LUX equipment) CarMax advertised nearly killed the deal...
No idea if the heated windshield works and haven't found a way to test it. Guess I have to wait until winter and then call in a warrant repair if it doesn't work. (which would be a drag as I now have offroad permit stickers affixed to the windshield.

USB was solved with one of those compact cigarette lighter charger things.

dc_v01

Reaction score
Still don't know how to test mine. I've had some short duration fogging a couple times due to humidity/temp disparity. I turn on the heated windshield and I don't see any faint lines appear in the fog by the wires. But I don't recall if it used to or if this is more for ice.

Be nice if I had an infrared camera! Wouldn't that work? Turn it on and I should see all the wires glow, right?
Actually, not quite. I have actually done this. No IR camera you are likely to come across is going to have the resolution to see individual wires. What you see is a broad glow where it is working. Actually, I'm not even sure you would see wires even with a higher resolution camera, the wires heat the windshield pretty evenly and since the camera sees the heat, you'll probably have a broad glow anyway. For the same reason you won't see individual lines where the fog is disappearing, it's not like a rear window defroster, the heat is much more even.

But we discovered you don't need an IR camera to test this. Hopefully you have access to a garage? Where it isn't overly hot? Park it inside overnight, then fire it up in the morning. You should be able to actually feel the heat in the windshield with your hand. We were able to easily at around 70F to 72F ambient temperature.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72