Weight distribution hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little more insight on weight distribution hitch and the LR4. If anyone has a good resource please let me know.

What I have read:
-the manual says never do it
-people subjectively say it's bad with air suspension
-others have alluded to the problem being the oem hitch could snap off

I'm not an engineer, but it seems logical to have the weight transferred to both axles given the natural weight distribution is close to 50/50.

I have a 20ft toy hauler UVW 4000lbs and GVW 7000lbs. I'd like to get a tongue weight scale and double check, but my estimate is I'm at about 650lbs on tongue (i don't load up trailer with much weight and storage tanks are rear of axles, I know propane tanks and batteries are heavy)

It came with a WDH and I've used it with minimal tensioning seems to drive great.

Just looking for extra info on the subject. Obviously difficult to set up the WDH in the normal fashion as the suspension would try to correct itself. It won't sag in the back because my air suspension is functional, but that doesn't mean the front won't be lighter than normal. I'd love to spend an hour at a truck scale and try different combinations of axles on and off the scale to see what's really going on.

Thanks,
Stuart

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I saw that thread a while ago but several new pages since my last visit. So still no verdict than, except that a lot of others are using weight distribution systems.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some are using a WDH, some are not. I do not with my spread axle trailer. Difficult to ask a trailer shop because most are not familiar with EAS Rovers. Land Rover itself doesn't offer or even recommend a WDH, at least not that i have seen/read.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used an equalizer hitch on my 2011 since February of 2011 with my 23' single axle travel trailer without issue

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mpinco I saw that your trailer is about 450lbs tongue weight, do you notice the front end feeling lighter?

The rhino looks great, a little pricey, I wish I would have got that originally over the OEM ( which seems questionable for higher loads) ill probably get the curt receiver and figure out exactly what my tongue weight is.

Do you have a scale or did you take it somewhere to weigh?

Thanks

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR4 is a 2011. The trailer is a 2013 Keystone Premier 19FBPR. Total length is 23'9". to tip of hitch. Have towed through Colorado mountains and up to Wyoming, Yellowstone and Montana. On the highways and through mud trails. The front end of the LR4 does not feel lighter. I have gone with spacers, 18" LR3 10-spoke wheels and load range E General Grabber AT2's in 285/60-18. The track is slightly wider and the load range E does better for a heavy vehicle with a trailer. I did notice that the stock tires allowed the rear to squirm a little under the extra weight and front tires to have less directional control coming down a muddy trails. That's solved.

My reason for going with the Rhino hitch was that the LR hitch is basically a plow and also does not allow oversize tires. To level the trailer I had to flip the receiver bar over to produce a rise. The Rhino is better placed and does not protrude into the spare tire perimeter, unlike the OEM hitch. Roof top storage of a spare was not an option (weight and canoe).

I have not weighed the combo or trailer. The 19FBPR dry weight is 4250lbs, carrying capacity is 2230lbs at a specified 450lb tongue weight.. I probably run around 1000lbs extra for campiing. Added 20 gal of water and a Honda generator. Add in all the misc stuff ..... and a full storage area with multiburner Camp Chef, chairs, firewood, etc. Suspect my tongue weight is higher than 450lbs.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

JWA33

Reaction score
What is the price of the Rhino hitch? It's odd to me that it is not listed on their website and is only available if you know the guy who knows the guy to send a private message. I'm not sure how much I trust a product that is that important if there aren't clearly published details of the design/construction/tested rating.

jim6090

Reaction score
Last August we towed a rented 25' 2015 Airstream with a Reese dual cam. As I recall:: Landrover never tested tested with a WD hitch. So doc says don't use it. Our 2012 LR4 did a great job with the factory hitch. Trailer had a wireless brake controller. Did have to install a permanent brake controller. You will need supplemental mirrors.

The LR4 is a very capable tow vehicle. We towed over 2500 miles through NC mountains with no issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72