Weight distribution hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....The rhino looks great, a little pricey, I wish I would have got that originally over the OEM ( which seems questionable for higher loads) ill probably get the curt receiver and figure out exactly what my tongue weight is....

Before the Rhino hitch came along I was considering the Mitchel Bros hitch but it was more expensive.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last August we towed a rented 25' 2015 Airstream with a Reese dual cam. As I recall:: Landrover never tested tested with a WD hitch. So doc says don't use it. Our 2012 LR4 did a great job with the factory hitch. Trailer had a wireless brake controller. Did have to install a permanent brake controller. You will need supplemental mirrors. .....

Agreed on brake controller (mine is permanent install to the available Ford compatible system) and extension mirrors. LR is missing the boat on mirrors as a high margin accessory.

Also note that the wire gauge of the 12V feed to the trailer harness is undersized (14 or 16 ga?) for charging a second battery. I replaced it with 8ga stranded copper and added a Bluesea ACR and e-series switch on trailer.

Robbouchard

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 and I tow my 24’ travel trailer with weight distribution, have never tried to tow without it. I admit I haven’t looked at my manual to see what it says about towing with weight distribution. Is the reason for not using weight distribution vehicle handling or damage to the air suspension?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the price of the Rhino hitch? It's odd to me that it is not listed on their website and is only available if you know the guy who knows the guy to send a private message. I'm not sure how much I trust a product that is that important if there aren't clearly published details of the design/construction/tested rating.

I just exchanged emails with Todd in March. He's now selling the Rhino hitch via the Snomaster site. Here's a link to the product page on that site: https://www.snomasterusa.com/product-category/parts-accessories/

The price has gone up a little since I bought mine 3 years ago. He has also made a few minor modifications to the current version. However when I asked him if the mods were a fix or an upgrade, he said it was an upgrade and that he is still using his original Rhino on a daily basis on his LR3 with no issues. I don't use mine as often as @mpinco but I am happy with it. It gets admiring looks whenever I'm out with other Rover owners. Everyone loves the mounting height and how it doesn't interfere with departure angle...and protects the rear from those "bump method" parallel parkers.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the Rhino

I have quite a few and can take more if you really want a close look at it. Here's a quickie collage of photos I took during its maiden voyage back in 2016:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF7Dw5DOcrj/

The photos at the snomaster site are mostly of it mounted to a steel bumper, but there's one "*****" shot of it that shows how it fits into the factory slot underneath the stock bumper and then fits to the factory recovery point.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rhino hitch has worked well for 3+ years towing a TT across the West. No anti-sway or WD hitch.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic during the install on mine.

20161222_190404.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV