What are the best tires for the LR3 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have over 15,000 miles on the ATRs and love them, very quiet. Great for road/hwy and trail use. They wear well but not sure if they are ideal for rock crawling. I recall reading somewhere that these tires were designed for gravel roads in South America. In addition, these tires are a favorite throughout the UK community.

Do you have the 255/60/18 with the 112H load rating, or the 265/60/18 with the 110H load rating? Which would you recommend?

I just started Googling each tire and reading about them. Personally, I have decided on the GY Wrangler SilentArmors, because the car will be used 90% on road and I want the quiet ride.

I have GY wrangler SA's and can't recommend them myself. Although they still have a quiet ride with 40k miles on them, they haven't ever been able to balance smoothly, even with road force balancing. I've hear that the early batches, like mine, had this problem and it's since been corrected, but it'd be taking a chance.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I just noticed that the GY Wrangler SAs only have a 109T load rating... Maybe I should go with the General Grabber AT 2s... but I don't really want the increased road noise :\

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's the speed rating; not the loading rating.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Tire Rack,
"A service description identifies the tire's load index and speed rating. It can be found on the sidewall of the tire after the size listing.

The load index is the tire size's assigned numerical value used to compare relative load carrying capabilities. The speed rating is a letter denoting a fixed maximum speed capability."

The speed rating is the letter, the load is the number. I believe the LR manual says that the tires have to be at least 112, but that could just be the lawyers playing it safe.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Tire Rack,
"A service description identifies the tire's load index and speed rating. It can be found on the sidewall of the tire after the size listing.

The load index is the tire size's assigned numerical value used to compare relative load carrying capabilities. The speed rating is a letter denoting a fixed maximum speed capability."

This is what I was going by.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speed rating- 112,114,122
Load rating -C, D, E
Load Ply rating 10,12, 14
Go to Tire Rack homepage
click-shopping tools
click-tech center
click-Load Range/Ply Rating Identification
Look down torwards the bottom of the page.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey jimbiram,
For mostly highway with occasional rock crawling, would you recommend the cooper zeons over the pirelli scorpion atr's? They now make the ATR's in the correct size and load rating, have me curious.

Well, I haven't actually seen the Pirelli's so I can't give you an informed answer. But my experience with the Cooper's as so exceeded my expectations of a tire that can have both long life and performance, that I am admittedly biased. The Coopers have taken me through places that I never thought I could go, and the only time that they were a little off was on the top of a mountain in Colorado, going through some mud that was like grease in the hail and snow, and I had a difficult time maintaining control. However, the tires did have 35k miles on them, so the tread depth was not what it should have been. Tires are always a tough question, and I have to admit the Coopers are a little noisier than my Synchrones were, but the tradeoff is traction and ride. I believe the Coopers give the LR3 a better ride than my 19" Synchrones. If you are going to be in a lot of deep or greasy mud, then the BFG's or another tire with a deeper lug is in order, but you will definitely get more noise. I can't remember what tires DuckDive has, but he does a lot of aggressive offroad driving as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV