What kind of oil is everyone using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever I feel like buying the day I am in the store :help:

Normall though I prefer Shell Rotella synthetic when I can find it locally (small town) With only 100k on the clock I figure my Disco is just about broke it, so I can start to use the good stuff....

I would disagree with Melissa on this one...you should always break the engine in at least 2 oil changes before switching to synthetics, this give the all the parts proper time to seat themselves. But I am not the rest of the world either, I am willing to switch over at any mileage, just add a quart of lucas oil stabilizer when you do so and you should have no issues.

JMHO

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on switching over to synthetics on mine soon. Since mine didn't come with an owner's manual, what oil weight is suggested by LR for a '98? I'm wondering what weight I should change it too? I was thinking 10w-40 or so.

Last edited:

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using 20-50W. Up until my last oil change I was using 10-40W and after being on the highway for any length of time the oil light would flicker when the Disco came to a stop and the engine was at idle rpm. Switching to 20-50W cured that. I hope I didn't just temporarily cure a symptom of a bigger problem. ;)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff, if the oil light was flickering, it sounds like it might be time to clean out the oil pan and check the pick up tube for the oil pump. This might be your issue.

As far as the weight of oil it depends on temp that you live in and the type of driving that you do.

Here in West Virginia, lots of slow curves through the hills, and highway travel when you get there. I run 5w30 year round.

Jeffry Johnson

Reaction score
I just was told by and individual who has older R. R. to run 20/50.He heard my L.R. running and asked if it was a diesel. I aid no it is not. Asked what oil I ran and he said "RUN ONLY 20/50."Why not totally sure what he was talking about, but something to do with older technology was still being used in them and 20/50 will be better for it and quite it down. Does anybody have insight on this? Post back please. Thank you," FRE"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV