wheel size performance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What are you thought on 255/70 R18s the tire conversion showed the sidewall as 7 inches and overall height as 32.1 all the same as the 275/65 R18s except for width 10 inches vs 10.8. i would think whats most important to us as off roaders is sidewall height fallowed by overall well diameter, one for airing down without heat build up in the side wall and the other so our wheels don"t fall into small holes, they roll over them.

One last question, is there much difference in performance between the 265/65 R18 and the 275/65 R18?

Background info: 2008 LR3 HSE stock no mods yet (only if absolutely necessary), daily driver, will be taking DII tool on local Michigan off roading events. We have a lot of woods and tree roots, sand, and oh yeah snow.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...same diameter, same sidewall just a little skinnier? Seems okay....what are the actual tires available in that size?

Reaction score
There are a few (Tire Rack) but mainly the All Terrain K02s $240.00/ea load rated D. I know some of the guys want a load rating of E, is it necessary with this tire. I have read jwest loads his vehicle up to 8000 lbs, ok maybe he should use an E rating. and he know a lot more about this stuff than i do. But without front and rear steel bumpers... would a D load rating be not just acceptable but reliable?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't see the benefit...why not find a tire in the 275/65 size that is rated E?

Reaction score
It would be an attempt (my attempt at brainstorming) to get a taller sidewall without any modifications. Because my LR3 is a 85% DDriver and 15% moderate trail rig I think I'm going with 256/65 R18 BFG All Terrains, and a nice set of summer performance tires on stock 19 inch rims for the 85%.
There is a really good post on Overland Portal with Scot Brady's LR4 build (its long). But it talks about many different tire size choices.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you said the sidewalls were the same with the 275/65 v 265/70 (or whatever size you said, the one above looks wrong). If you are going to rock another set of rims for street use, I'd go more aggressive (and a proper load rating) on your 18s. In fact that's what I do! I have 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/Rs (classic version) and 255/55R19 Nokian Hakkas (winter tires) for Oct - March.

I'm happy with that. Just seems like the KO2s kind of a compromise, which is fine....but why compromise with an AT tire if you are gonna run two sets of rims anyway?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you said the sidewalls were the same with the 275/65 v 265/70 (or whatever size you said, the one above looks wrong). If you are going to rock another set of rims for street use, I'd go more aggressive (and a proper load rating) on your 18s. In fact that's what I do! I have 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/Rs (classic version) and 255/55R19 Nokian Hakkas (winter tires) for Oct - March.

I'm happy with that. Just seems like the KO2s kind of a compromise, which is fine....but why compromise with an AT tire if you are gonna run two sets of rims anyway?

Thank you for pointing out that when a person claims 31.7 = 32.0 is close enough to fit but somehow has a larger sidewall....break in logic ;)

If one cares about sidewall, then one must also need to care just as much, if not more, about sidewall strength when low air is used. The E load is not purely for an 8000 lb vehicle, it is more for stability under load at various pressures and in various situations like steep lean on low psi....do you really want to be wondering about that D load rating 20 miles up a trail.... ? LOL ;)

If you're serious about sidewall.... do the work! Either go to 17" wheels or make the mods in the fender liners to allow larger tires.

Do not kid yourself about the "only necessary mods" - neither of these 32" tires will work without the basic fender liner mods. (Stupid RODS do not fix that problem either so don't even mention it)

If you want a mod-less vehicle, which is a great plan, just get the easy-fit 265/65x18. No worries and it'll even fit in the factory spare location. 32" won't.

Lastly, consider a trail lean situation where the vehicle is 90% on one side. A stock vehicle is almost 6000 lbs, empty but fueled. That D tire is rated to 2830. It's pretty easy to max it out.

Personally, I don't like worrying about such a simple thing so I'd rather have the most durable and reliable tire possible.

Good luck....

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I like your winter 19" idea too. For my "summer all around" tire, I use the Michelin ltx ms/2 E load 275/65x18 as well which rolls SO smooth and quiet but in my testing at Rieter road/Index ORV park, they do damn well in wet rough trails too.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you calling the "basic fender liner mods?"

I like the winter and MT/R combo....but if I want to go on long trip in the summer I'm kinda screwed. What I "need" is a third set of wheels and tires, but I fear my wife would **** me!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72