wheel size performance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you NEED a 3rd set, the more people who have 3, the less crazy I look to friends with my sets ;)

Fender liner mods: you know, the stuff for 32" tire no-rub use.
front
1-frame buldge/"horn"
2-driver side wiring loom moved up and away from where tire contacts frame at full lock
rear
3-hvac lines relocation, body seam flattening, and flattening of budged out plastic liner - i think mainly on right side? I forget.

Is that it? I don't have a factory front bumper so I don't recall how it interferes or not with a 32" tire at factory offset.

Note to newbies, use of any spacer and/or wider offset wheel will result in rubbing issues just as if you'd put a larger tire on factory wheel with no spacer. Max width without creating more problems is 285/60x18 but narrower 265/65x18 fits way better in all off road situations.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay that's what I thought you meant. I don't have the "horn." I think that came into being on later models like maybe '07 or '08. ....lemme see, yeah did the wiring loom move in the front driver's wheel well, that's easy. I did the flattening of the body seam but I didn't have HVAC lines because I don't have rear Climate control. I ordered my LR3 as a 5-seater, and so I figured I didn't need the extra CC. Turned out to be a good move.

Dude, if I had room for a 3rd set I'd probably do it....but it's not rational. I fret about putting extra miles on my MT/Rs and in the meantime they are 10 years old in October '18 and will need to be replaced anyway due to age...with 85% rubber on them!

...but anymore the LR3 is only driven for fun and adventure. Camping, wheelin, etc. We bought an old Montero and use that for daily driving when cargo space and AWD is needed.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooh, what year Mistubishi loved those back in late 90's when a neighbor had one. They were still very rugged solid axle back then. Eyeing it was what got me to look at the 1996 Discovery - becoming my first Land Rover ;)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1997 back in November '96. I needed a new SUV and I liked them but thought they were just another "also ran" from Japan. Then I did research. More HP than I thought. Body-on-frame, terrific drivetrain (2WD, AWD, 4WD) and the config was sweet (seven seats including 2 jumpers) and a HUGE sunroof. I drove it and fell in love with it. Also, it was distinct. I'm not a fan of having $hit than everyone else has. So I bought it and got a great deal. Drove it 8.5 years. Gave it to my parents, they drove it another 6, then gave it to my Son on his 16th birthday. He is STILL driving it and it has 280,000 miles on it.

The one I have now is a 2003 Montero Sport. I don't like it as much, but I know it's gonna do the job and run for a long time.

Only thing that makes me sick is that I could have bought a Defender in that 1996 timeframe for the same money. In reality though, cost of ownership of the Montero was WAY less than a Defender would have been, and I was just out of college. The Mitsubishi was the right move, and my Rover-**** would have to wait those 8.5 years until I could truly afford one.

(...fell in love with Land Rovers on a trip to the Middle East in high school. My family had an old Series 3 that we had some good times in.)

Reaction score
I thought you said the sidewalls were the same with the 275/65 v 265/70 (or whatever size you said, the one above looks wrong). If you are going to rock another set of rims for street use, I'd go more aggressive (and a proper load rating) on your 18s. In fact that's what I do! I have 275/65R18 Goodyear MT/Rs (classic version) and 255/55R19 Nokian Hakkas (winter tires) for Oct - March.

I'm happy with that. Just seems like the KO2s kind of a compromise, which is fine....but why compromise with an AT tire if you are gonna run two sets of rims anyway?

Houm_WA sorry, I haven't had time to reply I've been besy and getting ready for an overnighter in St Hellion MI. tomorrow.

I used the tire size calculator on Tire Size Comparison.com to compare many tires sizes. It indicated that the 255/70 R18 has a diameter of 32.1", width of 10" and sidewall height of 7". It also indicated the 275/65 R18 has a diameter of 32.1, width of 10.8" and a sidewall of 7 inches. thats what i based my statement on above. I'm sure there are variations in tire size by brand and types, I just don't know how much.

I also left out some important information why i'm going with BFG All Terrains I'm starting to do a yearly event again Snofiri. Its a fun winter trail run here in Michigan every January. I was looking for a good all around tire that would perform well on snow, and sand in the summer. I do like the BFG MT/Rs and we do have mud lots of it.

On load ratings, I have a better understanding of why we need to use an E rating, I all makes sense.

I've been looking for the 10 spoke LR3 rims. their hard to find without spending a lot of money. So I bought 255/55 R19 Cooper Zeon LTZ's I needed new tires so these will be my daily drivers. I'll see how these work in mild off roading and my new LR3 as well, haven't had it off road yet.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all the help.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Zeons for a while, many of us did. I ended up going up to Goodyear MT/Rs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut