Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

nemchenk

Got a set of 8-spoke white steels, in moderately good condition, which I was planning to clean up and repaint as I am fitting new (tubeless) tyres. However, I've heard that Discovery "5-spoke" steels are a better proposition for road-going use.

What does everyone here think?

Thanks in advance!

D

discomike

Depends on the strength and quality of the wheels you are using, 8 and 5 spoke wheels of good quality should be equal in strength.
Mike J.

N

nemchenk

Thanks, Mike! :)

Is one set lighter than another? Thought I'd try to lighten the wheels without shelling out for alloys :wink:

Also, I am uncertain at the moment as to whether 8-spokes can mount tubeless tyres -- some people say yes, others no... :confused:

Anybody got any experience with these?

Cheers!

T

tuko

I'm running the Disco steel rims on my series 3 and they are a nice rim. The steel used to make the rims is much thicker than the standard series rim, actually, they are as thick as the wolf rims.

The disco rims have a greater off set that the series rims, therefore giving a wider foot print on the road. This in turn gives a more stable ride. If you are deciding to go to a super wide tire ie: 12.5 x 33's, you'll have body contact, but with 235's I have no problems.:proud:

Going with or without tubes, is no more than a personal choice in my eyes. But with that said, I wouldn't use tubes, if you for example get any dirt caught in between the tube and the tire, it will wear a hole in the tube, making them a waste of money.
The disco rims are a quality rim, even using the tallish 235's, I've never broke a bead or got a puncture.....knock on wood :eek:

Going tubeless with either rim, you'll do fine M8.

Cheers,
Tuko.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi