Where to mount the Hi Lift???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a 60'' Hi Lift Jack for my D1 1998. I have no clue where to put it?? I do have the standard grill guard (not ARB or RTE), and I also have the standard roof rack. I was thinking maybe some tabs welded to the front bumper ?? HELP!! I would only mount the Hi Lift when I am 4 wheeling, otherwise I would keep it stored in the garage @ home. Thanks for any advice!
RoverChic :itsme:

D

discomike

Hi Lift Jack Mount

You might want to consider using Safari Guards Hi Lift Jack mount which attaches to the spare tire, works well for me.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diagonal across the back cargo area -- it should just fit.

Andy

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey Andi!! On the outside of the truck? Or in the back ? I just have so many other things that I lug around in the back cargo area ( u know tool box and other backpack's, ect ).
Thanks!!
Melissa

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa - so you keeping truck for now then? :)
You can mount it on roof rack, if you got one, or on the rear wheel carrier. Only problem - you would have to take wheel cover off.

You can put it inside of truck, but make sure its VERY well secured. Overwise things may get very nasty, if it will fly around.

That said - i was carrying 48" in back of me XTerra over numerous trails and never had problem. But then i am driving like old lady. Also X got angled rear sears, so it helps. In rover - i just ordered roof mount with roof rack :)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean Andy, of course, right? :biggrin:

I have a 48" jack, and it goes along the inside passenger side (tucked next to the rear wheel well "****"). I was thinking that a 60" jack would fit the same way, or otherwise place it diagonally across the inside of the cargo space. Pack around it so you can get to it...I have a "custom" mount set up on my plywood false floor that holds it pretty secure, yet allows me to get it out of there if I should need it.

For this, I have a U-bolt that the top of the jack fits into, and the base is wrapped in a towel to minimize rattling. Severe bouncing last weekend on rocks and hills made it jiggle a little, but it didn't bounce around -- there's an advantage to the weight of the thing, since it hardly moves! :biggrin:

Or get the spare wheel mount like Mike says, and only use it while wheeling (additional weight on the rear door, etc., etc.)

Andy

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks Sergie and Andy (sorry about the name spelling.. ) !! Yes I am keeping the LR! I saw the Hi Lift mounted to the back under the rover, like near the gas tank..But they are a bit heavy. I would hate to struggle to get it off, or even worse have it fall on me or something.
Thanks again.. Glad to see you guys!! Your advice is AWESOME!!
Melissa

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Safari Guard mount. I got it used for $35. That was the perfect deal for me. Just beware with the high lifts. You might want to find the thread in the tools section about the high lifts. They can be bad news!

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah -- I concur.

Where ever you mount it, make sure to take it off when done wheeling and clean it every once in a while -- definitely when you get it dirty! Those are NOT the kind of thing you want to have fail on you, because they fail in a ridiculously spectacular way -- and then people get hurt.

Andy

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
So do you guys just think I should take it back and get the 48" Hi Lift? I mean this 60" is actually pretty damn heavy (like 40lbs). And if I do remember correctly, the 48" is actuallu only like 30 lbs? Thanks Sam, for the info as well. A friend of mine has something similar to that on his J**p. TIA! Melissa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV