Which Land Rovers don't rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

Evian

I am thinking of buying a Land Rover. I thought all Land Rovers were made out of alluminum. I just saw one today and it was rusted on the doors and in several other spots. Is there a particular model I should be looking for? I recently got rid of a rusted out Jeep. Salt just eats up cars around here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Which models and years should I avoid?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a 97 Disco and 92 Range Rover. Neither had rust. I know that the Range Rover had some aluminum zinc composite that was fairly rust resistant. Can't remember what the disco is made out of right now. Rovers have solid frames so are you are pretty safe.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically they will all rust, it is just to what degree... and it depends on the climate that you are in.

My '97 has had a small amount of rust around the bottom of all the doors. (right on the seams), and around both alpine windows (Disco's up to mid 99 have a metal roof) All Landrover have alluminum skins, but have metal supports and inner panels... this is where the rust starts. Floor boards are all metal if I recall correctly.

Also keep in mind, that alluminum does oxidize, just not in the same manner as metal.

D

disco1

And I thought all the oil under my vehicle was from the built in "rust prevention" system.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72