Whirring/buzzing noise in 06 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xinto_3

Reaction score
Hello Roveristas...
I have an 06 RR HSE. For the past week, it has been making a whirring/humming noise while idling and increases in pitch when accelerating until it finally is unnoticeable at higher speeds (25+mph). When I'm slowing down you can hear the sound returning and continue when idling. It changes pitch when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds and in idle. Under the hood I can hear it mainly in the front middle area. I have no mechanical background, and would just like an idea of what it could be before taking it to a shop.
I recently had an oil change this week a bit after the sound began and the sound was not much lower in volume for a couple of days but then returned. My power steering fluid is at capacity. Could it be the belts need tightening with the weather change?
A bit worried...
Juan J.H. :confused:

Geoff K

Reaction score
Hello All,
i also have a 2006 RRS with identical issue. Weather here cooled down a bit, early morning start up. did not notice the noise immediately but once i put it into gear and idled around the corner became noticeable. since i have some interesting noises from what i assume is transmission related, pump or solenoids chirp at low speed acceleration. i just idled for a while longer, which the noise becomes less noticeable once warm. it has been three days now with consistent whining noise at idle. so far unable to locate the source, sounds like the back of engine.
130k on original trans and cannot confirm is it has ever been serviced. would like to do a flush but concerned it will fall apart if i do. committed to my RR and will do whatever it takes to keep it on the road.
also is it advisable to purchase a used trans from a seemingly reputable firm such as
lkq-logo.png

thank you all for your time and consideration.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 06 l322 Range Rover supercharged and I had a noise similar, very annoying, no check engine lights( noise was somewhere in the engine bay, not transmission) after pinpointing where it was coming from with a stethoscope. it was the alternator. swapped it out with a new one and everything was perfect. you'd be surprised what weird noises bearings make when they're going bad. buy a stethoscope and try to narrow down where its coming from. you'll here the noise once you touch that metal probe to the problem trust me. the sell cheap ones at harbor freight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA