Why Not a Jeep?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tmcgraw, Jul 19, 2012.

1. tmcgraw

tmcgraw Active Member

So as many of you know, I work at a Land Rover dealer, and I'm surrounded by Land Rover enthusiasts daily. The Land Rover support is just phenominal as a club, culture, society.

So today I introduced the question into the dealer, why would you buy a Land Rover of a Jeep? They're both very capable off-road vehicles, both get about the same gas mileage, power, ect. and as for what most people deal withon a daily basis, the Jeep is the budget-buy. The Grand Cherokee, though in recent years I would say directly competes with the RRS, in most categories.

Now the hang-up I've got playing devil's advocate here is that the Jeep Grand Cherokee's now have seven model choices... So when comparing it to the RRS, I use the Overland Summit edition.

Stretch out, and give me some numbers. :tongue:

Why Buy A Land Rover Over a Jeep?

2. tmcgraw

tmcgraw Active Member

Haha I'm starting to feel like I've either offended some of you with my question or no one has a good rebuttal.

3. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Well I will say this I have owned both.... either one is very capable daily drivers or off road. The Question comes down to preference. Of course I also would never buy a new Jeep or a New Rover.

I prefer my Rover as a daily driver and for off roading. My rover is more capable off road stock than a jeep and it rides better doing both.

My jeep was fun with the top off and doors off, but cost of parts are just as high if not higher than for my rover. Selling my 97 jeep Wrangler if anyone is interested :)

4. CMGRover

CMGRover Full Access Member

I am a proud Jeep owner too....and I find mine to be better off road due to less issues. But the LR3 is no slouch either. Both (Liberty has Bilstein Shocks, Old Man Emu Springs and Jeepin By Al UCA's) drive nice on road. I love both brands though and will continue to because they are the only brands that offer any real capability.

5. jbrincks

jbrincks Full Access Member

I currently own both, but my Jeep is a Wrangler and not a Grand Cherokee which you're comparing too. But my opinion is I'll take my Jeep places I would never dream of taking my LR3, to be fair though myJeep is set up more so for off road than on road. But my reasoning is, the Jeep is well protected and if I put some scratches or dents in it, there's no worries. All that being said, I just ordered the Johnson Rods today and look forward to taking the LR3 off road in the future.

There should be a picture of the Jeep, it's a few years in the making.

Attached Files:

6. uhur

uhur Full Access Member

Because it looks better in your driveway, makes people envious and screams money

7. Jerbo

Jerbo Active Member

I have an 08' LR3 and wife has a 12' Grand Cherokee. Both are awesome and capable. All cars a matter of preference.

She was looking at RRS, but I talked her out of it. (i know right) She works in a city hospital and i was worried about safety. As uhur says, screams money, and I don't want her to be an easy target. Either way between both cars.... really not a lot we can't do.

Cheers.

8. ZC06LR3

ZC06LR3 Member

i was a jeep guy for years, I'll probably own a CJ again someday.. just bought the LR3 and I'm looking to get rid of the Wrangler. I have the 4 door - great sound system, love the convertible top - but the motor has been a POS ever since it hit 85K, and I took care of it too, oil changes, didn't beat on it, scheduled maintenance.. thankfully the power train warranty has covered it, but that little 3.8 is just a bummer.
    for the price I paid for a used LR3 I got more towing, more cargo capacity, more people capacity, more HP, same mpg, heated leather front and rear, in dash nav, and a quiet ride, and so many cool buttons... For the price you pay, in my opinion Chrysler just doesn't do justice to the Jeep. even the new ones with leather are still lacking what the LR3 delivers. maybe if they'd get a good size V8 with enough power to move that brick on wheels, or a diesel.. something without having to do one of the 100+K AEV conversion kits..
    lol.. sorta rambling but.. yeah. that's why.

9. drew

drew Active Member

I went with the LR3 over a wrangler for a few different reasons. I was looking for used and Wranglers are difficult to find used in good shape. Land Rovers on the other hand are alot easier to find babied with 100k on them. AND I needed the 3rd row. AND I wanted a V8.