will not start in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay in touch, let me know how the new idle control solenoid works.
If you still have a problem lets talk.

russburcham

Reaction score
okay- just got off the phone w/ the mechanic--he is charging me ZERO for all the work as i've been going to him for yrs w/ 3 rovers and he had spare parts laying around--he drove the car for about 20 miles around town and NO CODES-- he suspects that it may be an alarm issue, (as i neglected to mention, the driver door lock mechanism sometimes fails/sticks and i have to unlock manually w/ the key), BUT that problem has been ongoing for about a year...Does this make sense?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were an alarm issue, the engine would not turn over, the alarm would go off and the red light on the dash would be flashing very fast.
Bet you still have a problem.

russburcham

Reaction score
yes- that's what i suspect as well, going to local parts store to get a Crank sensor and install this wknd- (is it true there is sometimes no code for this?) thanks again for all the help--

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
yep sometimes or most of the time no code.

At least that is what I have seen.

bradalex55

Reaction score
Hey guys same things happened with me too my rover always give a bit problem in winters while starting also in snow it really need sometime to start

russburcham

Reaction score
So my '01 disco w/ 107k miles won't start again. My mechanic has replaced and/or checked my 02 sensors, MAF, idle control valve among other things- he is getting fuel pressure and replaced my faulty driver side lock module. he is getting NO codes on it at all and has finally checked my ECU. he said it looks a bit "burnt" and thinks it may be the problem. (occasionally starts, un-hook battery for a day a may start or may not, etc.) My friends, could this be the culprit, and if so, what $ am I talking here for a good used one?
note: he finally got my car running by clearing all the codes anyway that weren't there? (does this make any sense to you gbuys?)
he is pulling a used one tomorrow to hook up to my truck too see what happens-

Thoughts?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First unless he has the LR specific computer that will reset the ECU I wouldn't recommend the test unless you don't ever want to drive your Disco again...

Second sounds more like a crank position sensor is bad.

russburcham

Reaction score
hi joey,

yes, it is a land rover ecu (my mechanic ONLY works on land rovers) he was going to swap one out - and he does have the laptop based test book computer. Also gets some of his programs and tech info from Cypress or Crete--or something like that- does this make sense?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut