Will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a similar issue after the car sat out in the bitter cold for an extended period (2012 LR4 sat outside for two days in 0 degree weather). Battery is less than a year old.

Seemed to be the car not recognizing the brake pedal being pushed as it started right up after I tapped the pedal a few times.

-Rich

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 started fine today. Temps are above freezing today so perhaps it was the cold weather overnight the night before. Though if I didn't hit the brake hard enough, I should have gotten the message -- "Press brakes when starting". There was no message on the dash yesterday when it didn't crank and start.

I have a service scheduled the following week so I will ask the Land Rover dealer.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago I had a similar issue on my 2010 which ended up being the ICL.
They ended up having to install a whole new instrument cluster.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago I had a similar issue on my 2010 which ended up being the ICL.
They ended up having to install a whole new instrument cluster.
That sounds expensive. Hopefully that is not the case for my 2011 LR4 since it's no longer under warranty. It's been 4 days since it's happened and it has started fine every day since. Hopefully it was the cold weather and just a fluke.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sears battery is 2 years old... Mine (the OEM Varta crapola) failed well before 2 years - after about 16 months actually - although to be fair I do drive 30/35K miles per year, so the mileage probably doesn't apply to you. I've had much better luck with the replacement, an Exide EDGE AGM. Still, I'd get your battery thoroughly tested, if they are on their way out they usually start showing it intermittently when it gets real cold.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sears battery is 2 years old... Mine (the OEM Varta crapola) failed well before 2 years - after about 16 months actually - although to be fair I do drive 30/35K miles per year, so the mileage probably doesn't apply to you. I've had much better luck with the replacement, an Exide EDGE AGM. Still, I'd get your battery thoroughly tested, if they are on their way out they usually start showing it intermittently when it gets real cold.

If you don't mind me asking, how many miles do you have on your LR4 nowadays, Umberto?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very similar thing happened to me a few months ago with my 13 Lux. Was running weekend chores mid morning, parked for a minute to run into a store, came back out and tried starting, all the dash lights would come on normally but the engine wouldn't start no matter what. Still under warranty, called Road Side Assistance, they made me do a few things (key fob pressed against the steering column etc, etc), nothing worked. They finally decided to send some help.

As I was waiting for the help/their commissioned roadside tech/mechanic to arrive, I decided to give it one more shot, and sure enough the engine started this time. Called them back and cancelled their roadside assistance appointment.

No clue at all what that was about. Perhaps, LRNA was testing out their big boss remote control engines shut off technology in case of an armageddon to prevent civil unrest/chaos :)

P.S. Not a conspiracy theorist and no star trek doll collection in my basement :)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had much better luck with the replacement, an Exide EDGE AGM.

@umbertob, is Exide EDGE AGM still your choice? I may need a replacement battery on short notice and am trying to cut to the chase with a trusted recommendation.

My symptoms began with a totally dead battery-- or so it seemed. I jumped it and drove to the local dealer and they said it tested fine. I then made a 10-hour drive for a week of vacation and had no trouble during our stay or the trip back.

Upon return, more symptoms popped up. Multiple presses required to engage the starter, and/or slow "chugging" style starts. Current battery is a dealer warranty replacement and is about 3 yrs old. 2011 LR4 HSE, 94K mi. TIA.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA