Window Screens for sleeping in LR3 - Built & Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

schafari

I while back I indicated that I was going to build some window screens to put in the LR3 back windows. I have completed the project. I use the vehicle somewhat often for camping. If I am only doing a single overnight trip, I sleep in the LR3. By the way, the truck is awesome for sleeping in. The height is great on the interior, and the bed lays totally flat.

I built the window screens out of items you can get at Home Depot. Basically, it is simply 5/16" screen rails and stiles with fiberglass window screening material. It is the same as if you were to build a replacement for your home windows.

I made two sets. One set is for night time. It is only about 4" high, and plugs in the back windows. The window glass then pushes up against it and holds it tight. The LR3 rear windows are perfect for this. If you look close, they have a lip around two of the four sides. It is a tight fit. I then made bigger ones that are just over 11" high. These will offer more air flow like during the day. The rails and stiles are aluminum and charcoal color, as is the screen and corner connectors as well.

After working out a prototype, the final building was extremely quick. Lots of trial and test on the prototype, but once I got the fit I was looking for, I made the four screens quickly. Plus, this is an extremely inexpensive project. Less than $15. You want to know the best part? When in, it looks like something directly from the LR Kit catalog.

I'll be doing an overnight this weekend so it will be the first test. I am still designing an awning for them, so if I get rain at anytime, I can deploy and awning. That is phase two.

I am going to learn how to post pictures hopefully by tomorrow, and will post pic's asap.

(Hopefully I'll be able to get to the window curtains soon. Simply curtains to block the view in the rear windows.)

S

schafari

When I get home, I'll down load off camera and post. By the way, the width of the screen rails were 18 5/8. Took awhile to get the exact right width.

S

schafari

Here are a few pictures of the window screens. The pictures don't do them justice, but you will get the idea.

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Thanks for posting the pictures.

So, how much to make me a set of the 4" ones? :)

(I have camped in the LR3 as well. Its great, but w/o screens won't keep the skeeters out in the summer.)

T

threeputt

Does the perforated sunshade for the sunroof have narrow enough gaps at the edges to keep mosquitoes out? If so, that would definitely aid ventilation. If not, maybe one could be fashioned for that as well...?

Jeff

S

schafari

I looked at the sunroof to find out the same thing. You certainly could do it easily. At this point I chose not to for the following reasons: 1.) The current sunroof screen is pretty good as it is, especially with it vented and not open. 2.) When I would most use the screens at night, I won't leave the sunroof open due to dew and worst case rain. I wanted to fashion some sort of adjustable awning for the screens in the windows but have not had time yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA