Windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Well, my windshield got dinged yet again and needed to be replaced. This time I asked my insurance company to have Safelite use an OEM replacement and I can report that the rain sensor issues I posted about have now been fixed. I'm not sure why the rain sensor would not work properly with Safelite glass but it was frustrating, (one speed whether there was a downpour or a drizzle). It rained yesterday and it worked exactly as it used to.

Jeffry Johnson

Reaction score
I'm still going back and forth with Safelite. They have tried three different pads
. No help. But now they say they have done research and found a pad that is 100%.We will see.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Well, my windshield got dinged yet again and needed to be replaced. This time I asked my insurance company to have Safelite use an OEM replacement and I can report that the rain sensor issues I posted about have now been fixed. I'm not sure why the rain sensor would not work properly with Safelite glass but it was frustrating, (one speed whether there was a downpour or a drizzle). It rained yesterday and it worked exactly as it used to.
Ugh. My rain sensor does not work. I have an aftermarket windshield as well.

My mechanic thought it may be the rain sensor, which is a good idea to replace with the windshield.

I know it isn't the technology because the sensor in my LR3 was flawless.

Is there any documented evidence that the sensor does not work in aftermarket windshields? Because, since CarMax did the windshield perhaps I can get them to try again. As much as I'd hate to give them a go at things...

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the windshield on our LR4 and insisted on OEM glass. God to test the rain sensor shortly after and all worked as it should.

Jeffry Johnson

Reaction score
Thanks for The feedback.? Have you ever heard of running 20/50oil in the Landrover?

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my windshield replaced 3 times as well all done by safelite. Long story short be sure to ask for Pilkington Glass (which is oem). I have always insisted they use pilkington except for one time they said they couldn't that they had to use what was available. They installed a Fuyu glass from china which had a green tint to it. Once installed i noticed the automatic wipers were not working. So i took it back and told them the following day. They then said they had to wait a week for the glue to cure to remove the glass and install the pilkington glass. So just insist they use only pilkington and let them know you have had the issue before.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my windshield replaced 3 times as well all done by safelite. Long story short be sure to ask for Pilkington Glass (which is oem). I have always insisted they use pilkington except for one time they said they couldn't that they had to use what was available. They installed a Fuyu glass from china which had a green tint to it. Once installed i noticed the automatic wipers were not working. So i took it back and told them the following day. They then said they had to wait a week for the glue to cure to remove the glass and install the pilkington glass. So just insist they use only pilkington and let them know you have had the issue before.
Can you describe the green tint? I don't notice it. Is this something I can see or is it documented? I have the FUYAO glass shown below. My rain sensor is very poor at detecting rain. I'm thinking this is what you were talking about...

FullSizeRender5-vi.jpg

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you describe the green tint? I don't notice it. Is this something I can see or is it documented? I have the FUYAO glass shown below. My rain sensor is very poor at detecting rain. I'm thinking this is what you were talking about...

FullSizeRender5-vi.jpg

Yes, that is exactly the one they installed. You probably won't be able to notice the green tint unless you are comparing them side by side with pilkington.
I would have them replace it if you can.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have been putting off calling CarMax on this because I hate warranty discussions, but it's time to schedule a visit.

Are there any TSBs or other documentation I can bring with me to note that non-OEM glass impacts the rain sensor? It seems like common knowledge that without Pilkington Glass you run into these issues, but Carmax will likely need to see it somewhere.

Or else I'll deal with a time consuming process of replacing rain sensors and them trying to test it, prove it's not accurate, etc...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi