Winter Washing Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I typically avoid automated car washes except during cold winter months. I ALWAYS end up with hairline swirl marks and scratches all over the vehicle that I find on my first Spring hand wash. The brush-less washes aren't much better as those foam towels are all covered with the dirt from the last guy's car. The good thing is that a polish seems to take them out, but still...maybe it doesn't.

...so, with my "new" 2013 I'm going to try to avoid the automated washes all together. We'll see how I do.

Right now it's in the teens outside and my truck is covered with salt and road dust. Can't wash it at home even with a warm bucket of water, as I'd turn my driveway into an ice rink. Still not sure how I'd rinse it even if I parked on the lawn or something.

What do you guys do in the cold months? I know there are some water-less wash systems but I honestly don't want to rub my car with anything when it's covered with grit. Seems like I'd just be scratching it. No?

I guess I could go to the pressure washing bays. They don't work great, though. I still end up spending over $10 to do it right and I get covered in the foam. :D

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 is Santorini Black so I feel your pain!

I went through one of those totally touchless bays during a December road trip. It knocked off 80-90% of the caked on grime with the high pressure nozzles and I leveled up a couple of times when ordering to make sure I got a couple of passes with the system. I'm not sure if there is one of those in our part of the world @toddjb122 but I may do some research.

I washed my LR4 on Christmas Day in the driveway but it wasn't too cold around here as you may recall. It's supposed to warm up next week (relatively speaking) and I'll probably hit it again then. I use hot water and I admit I wear a neoprene glove but it's still a very cold hand when I'm done with all the rinsing etc.

If you have more than a slight surface film of dust, I would agree that you should avoid the waterless wash fluids. They are basically just detailing sprays like you would use when doing a clay bar treatment. When I use them I like Wash Wax All (washwax dotcomm). Really gives a nice shine.

Here's a photo of my Christmas Day work. The pint glass was a gift from my son (he got me a set from Rovers North) and the bike chain coaster was a gift from my wife. I took off the Christmas lights yesterday but you can see them across the top in this shot. Cheers!

PS: Maybe your kids would love their own ice rink! Alternatively, find a neighbor who is out of town and use their driveway! j/k

IMG_0711.JPG

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have been below freezing here for about 1.5 weeks now, and being originally from Minnesota I have found only 2 real options in the winter:

1. You can take it to a detailer that will wash it inside where it's warm. I hate this option, because it's my truck and I want to wash it.

2. Find a manual car wash, and do it by hand. Not with the foam brush, I spray 90% of the grime off and use soap and then use a mitt and soap. WORK QUICKLY. Yes, your hand will feel like it is going to fall off, and many times I have rinsed soapy ice off the car by the time I made it all the way around. Try to find a place that has overhead doors that can close, this will buy you a few degrees.

I wish there was a silver bullet for this, but I know of no other way around it.. In Minnesota, your truck is filthy for 5 months (aka winter) unless you wash it some way, and I've had automated car washes wear the paint clean off of the edges of my fenders from all the sand and salt in the brushes. The foam brushes at the manual power wash places are just as dirty.

Good Luck,

Mike

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The detail guy at the local Audi/Porsche dealer told me to never wash a vehicle in winter. All you do is flush the road salt deeper into the crevices of the vehicle (hinges, backside of fenders) and cause more rust. He suggested just letting the grime pile up all winter then wash it off in spring. Not sure if this is correct but he was the best detailer I have ever experienced. He made all the tiny metallic colors in the black paint on my A4 sparkle like never before.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go to the coin op place with a bucket. Spray it down to get most of the heavy grime off (don't use the brush), then fill the bucket with the wand - don't pull the trigger though! That uses the first set of quarters, then I work quick around the car. One mitt for the top half and an older one for the rear bumper, front bumper and lower trim. Then spray off and dry with a towel after pulling out of the bay.

The water is warm so I normally okay, but for home washing when the water is really cold I got insulated scuba gloves. They weren't too expensive and work surprisingly well. Keeps the water out and never get cold hands.

I've been washing like this in some seriously cold weather for close to 20 years. Still need to do some detailing in the spring, but so much better than going to car washes.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a DIY place the other day. 6F.

I just spray off, even without soap. Tons of high pressure water to just knock the salt down. Im careful about how I spray it down to keep the salt from going 'in' further, but im sure thats hard to avoid.

I don't even attempt to dry it off there. That would put so many marks in the paint. I just drive it home covered in water, frozen, then let it thaw in my garage. I generally can keep the garage above freezing, or use a propane garage heater.

Its still dirty, but its at least got a lot less salt on it. I spend 80%+ of the water/time on the lower door sills and below. I spray the skid plates off, hit all the suspension and wheel arches, get the rear diff area clean, spare tire, exhaust, etc.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is just a car: run it through the car wash, pay extra for the RainX and hot wax.

I am not afraid to scratch up this car by my own doing on the trail or in the woods, but I still have enough of a detailer habit in me from other cars that there is no way in hell I am going to let a car wash mess up my paint. I'll use a touchless wash if its warm enough, sure, but they don't even run them in Iowa when its below 10F and sure as heck not when its below 0F.

Trying to get wax or anything on a car when its this cold is dumb anyway, nothing applies correctly when it freezes immediately. Thats why I even avoid soap sometimes, because it just freezes to things and then you have to get that off later also.

I wouldn't even wash it if its was just dirt, but the salt can't stay.

jhartz

Reaction score
As long as it is freezing, the salt won't harm. Living in Omaha, years ago, the better car washes opened only after their driveways wouldn't freeze.

But working RR and LR forums for 13 years, I always am impressed by folks who will drive their $70k rig up a canyon full of rocks but worry over a car wash . . . just saying.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as it is freezing, the salt won't harm. Living in Omaha, years ago, the better car washes opened only after their driveways wouldn't freeze.

But working RR and LR forums for 13 years, I always am impressed by folks who will drive their $70k rig up a canyon full of rocks but worry over a car wash . . . just saying.

The salt might harm in my warm garage. Thats the issue, I don't leave it outside.

Ya, its true on the car wash thing. Big ass branch scraping down the side in pursuit of adventure, fine!.... dirty rubber spiny deal on a car wash... hell no!... ha!

My detailing mindset just gets in the way. (I clean my Infiniti vehicles more than my rover).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA