Winter Washing Options?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by toddjb122, Jan 3, 2018.

1. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

Thanks for that explanation. I honestly didn't know what the clay was for, I thought it was for scratches.
    Good to know, now. I always seem to have some tar spots, bug splatters or tiny caterpillar droppings (i guess) that leave marks which won't come off with soap and water, or detailing spray. I'll try the clay!

2. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

Clay acts as an abrasive to the contaminants in your paint. It is a more aggressive way to remove them. You should make sure the car is crazy clean before using clay. You can use dawn dish soap to strip all the waxes/sealant off first. You should also be careful to move the clay back and forth as the wind flows over your car, not in circles. If you drop the clay on the floor/ground, it's done, dont use it. You want to keep the clay as clean as possible or you will induce scratches.

I typically end up using my DA or rotary to polish areas up a bit, its a good time to do that since the paint is naked and has no sealant or contaminants.

Plenty to learn out there.

toddjb122 and cperez like this.
  3. Pfunk951

Pfunk951 Full Access Member

MBW- this spring you and I are going to have to go over rotary techniques, I am down to 3" pads and am still having problems with.. well, everything but the hood.:biggrin:

Mike

4. Mudda

Mudda New Member

Has anyone tried using SALTAWAY to manage road salt - it seems to be useful in removing salt from boat engines using raw water cooling, and leaves a shine behind on the gelcoat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    cperez likes this.