Wth are a/c drains on 98 Disco I??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnustampa

Reaction score
I am fairly certain we have nailed the cause. A/C works great but water (not coolant nor other fluids) backs up onto the passenger floor. Without the a/c on, no problems. I am also told that there are two drain lines for the a/c that run along the tranny tunnel and can be unblocked with a hanger, q-tip, etc...What I don't know is where they actually are??

See, this is my first Rover (no mods that I am aware of), it has only 60k miles on the original engine (according to CarFax, first owner drove it to FL, owned 5 years, drove 50k miles, second owner kept it in FL, owned 5 years, drove 5k miles or so). I am no mechanic, but I have changed a water pump or two, but for the life of me cannot identify what is the "tranny tunnel" nor find these two small lines?

I have heard that they run to the back of the vehicle, and on some models (maybe just newer ones) that they have a pointy rubber plug with a cross cut into it to help with draining? I am at a total loss here, having spent 3-4 hours under this thing with no luck. Did I mention that the drivers window is the only one that doesn't work? :help:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
lay down on the ground with your head near the front of the drivers or passengers door with feet at rear of vehicle.

Slide under the Disco till you look up and see the transmission. On each side if you look up you will see a hose with what will look like an ****** attached to the end. You can either remove the ****** and the reattach or squeeze the ****** or stick something into the ******... either way you will get covered is some nasty oily water.

Magnustampa

Reaction score
excellent!

Thanks, Joey! It took me a couple of times today of crawling around under there to find them. I think the problem was that people kept describing them as "lines" and they are actually just the very tiny ******* with the cuts in them. That is what was screwing me up, I had been looking for rubber hoses running the length of the vehicle. The driver's side drain was hard to get to, being between the frame and tranny and above the exhaust, but I got to it. Both of them didn't have any water run out but were packed with bits of leaves and such. I only hope that no water came out since I haven't used the a/c in several months. :bandit::beer:

John W

Reaction score
Just what I needed!

I am in the same situation--- Still looking for drivers side ****** though. If this does not work, is it possible to be clogged at the other end of the lines? I hear water swishing on passenger side around dash.

Thanks!

Magnustampa

Reaction score
That one was really hard for me to spot, but I liked Joey's description...have your head near the front of the drivers door and feet toward the back of the Rover when you slide under it...I think about 1 foot over, then look up. Make sure you have a flashlight, preferably a headlamp, as it is not easy to spot with the exhaust system in the way. It is even harder to wiggle your hand around to reach it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Water sloshing sound will be that you are low anti freeze.

tolinga

Reaction score
Dry *******-wet floor!

I have found the drain *******. Both sides were holding water and have been cleared. However, driver side floor continues to be wet. I have run a small wire as far as I can into drain. Still must be clogged. Any suggestions? Can they be cleared from above?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you drivers floor is still getting wet, has it been raining?

tolinga

Reaction score
No. No rain since I cleared ******* and removed water from floor.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the drain may be either disconnected or still clogged.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi