Yet another thread on brakes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iznof

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have to do my brakes by the end of this month. I am looking at doing a complete job all the way around, rotors + pads. I am looking for some advice....I think I have about three options.

1. Go to the dealer and pay upwards of 800 for an OEM set of brakes.
2. Get the EBC kit from Atlantic British-550ish and do it my self--Im pretty sure I could with some feedback.
3. Find a local non dealer alternative in Portland.

What do you guys think? How bad is it to get the old rotors off of these trucks?

D

discomike

What year is your truck, how mwchanical are you? If you want to save some money do them your self. Depending on wether you have a D1 or a D2 will determine how easy it will be.
Mike J.

iznof

Reaction score
Sorry,
Its a 99 D2 w/68k on it. I have done brake pads on hondas and complete jobs on 60's VW's. Any advice is greatly appreciated, also are there any odd tools that I might need to have--like over sized sockets etc.?

D

discomike

Well you have the easier model to do, this is good. The only tool other the a couple of wrenches is a impact driver with a large phillips head so that you can remove the disc from the hub. Otherwise it is a walk in the park.
Don't forget to do a comp;ete brake flush, you'll get a firmer pedal from it.
Mike J.

iznof

Reaction score
Mike,
Thanks for the reply! Should I get the Ebc kit or stick with OEM stuff, don't you run the EBC's? What will an impact wrench with the right bit set me back? Where can I find a PDF service manual on this truck?
Thanks!

D

discomike

I would step up to either the EBC or the High Performance set. I went slightly different, I used their Kevlar pads and DBA slotted and drilled rotors. Made a hugh difference for me, and if I had seen their add before I made my brake change I would have gotten their High Performance set because of how I drive.
What ever way you go make sure you do a complete brake flush, something around 3 pints of fluid.
Mike J.

B

blitzkreig

iznof said:
Where can I find a PDF service manual on this truck? Thanks!
do a search on eBay using the words "land rover discovery manual" . There is always quite an assortment.

iznof

Reaction score
...so many to choose from. Which seller did you use? Anyone want to send me a PDF as an Email attachment?

iznof

Reaction score
discomike said:
I would step up to either the EBC or the High Performance set. I went slightly different, I used their Kevlar pads and DBA slotted and drilled rotors. Made a hugh difference for me, and if I had seen their add before I made my brake change I would have gotten their High Performance set because of how I drive.
What ever way you go make sure you do a complete brake flush, something around 3 pints of fluid.
Mike J.

Where did you buy your stuff from?

D

discomike

I got my Kevlar pads from Atlantic British and my rotors from Expedition Exchange.
I did switch over to stainless steel brake lines and synthetic brake fluid to get a firmer brake pedal.
At this point, the pads have held up real well, very little dust and they thrive on heat.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut