18’s with 265/65/18. Traction control engaging on highway corners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b.anzellotti

Reaction score
I finally seem to have sorted to the issues with LCA’s and the alignment. I put Corse 18’s on with Cooper ST MAXX 265/65/18’s.

When cornering at moderate speeds the traction control keeps engaging on dry roads. The car generally seems “wobbly”. I had the 19’s with LTZ Zeons and never had any drivability issues.

Anyone else have any driving issues with these tires or in general when going down to 18’s with larger sidewall? I have the tires set to front 52psi, and rear 54psi.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like higher PSI than I would expect, but that and the tires/wheels shouldn't be the issue. Are you sure something else isn't wrong with your suspension? Sway bar disconnected or loose? Wheel speed sensors?

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say air pressure is your problem, I run the same size tires, but BFGs and mine are set to approx 40 front and 42 rear. I've never had traction control light up. My last set of BFGs went 55,000 miles and wore dead flat.

What speeds are we talking about here?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the same setup but with nitto ridge grapplers and had the same problem on factory tire pressure. Pumped the front 44 psi and the rear to 48 and it made a huge difference. Probably going to lower the tire pressure to 42 in the front and 46 in the rear tho just to make the ride a little softer.
I finally seem to have sorted to the issues with LCA’s and the alignment. I put Corse 18’s on with Cooper ST MAXX 265/65/18’s.

When cornering at moderate speeds the traction control keeps engaging on dry roads. The car generally seems “wobbly”. I had the 19’s with LTZ Zeons and never had any drivability issues.

Anyone else have any driving issues with these tires or in general when going down to 18’s with larger sidewall? I have the tires set to front 52psi, and rear 54psi.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm running 265/65/18 Cooper AT3 LT. Pressures are 46/51. 18s certainly feel a bit vague compared to 20s at speed, but I don't believe I've ever seen the TC light turn on while on dry roads.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are people really running 50+psi on these trucks? I never stray above 42, maybe I'm doing this wrong?

Depends on tire type and vehicle weight I guess. I am also doing it wrong (psi too high for weight), but will adjust once it is off it's Jack stands.

I'll give my example to maybe help zero in better:

Lexani Terrain Beast AT 265/70-18
Max tire weight: 3525
Max tire PSI: 80
Weight/PSI= 44.1 lbs per PSI
Gross vehicle weight: 7143 lbs
Weight/4= ~1785 lbs per corner
1785/44.1=40.5 psi per corner

Obviously there will be some variance, but should be a good starting point.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 265/70/18 Cooper S/T Maxx on my LR3 and have no issues like you do. I would be suspect of wheel bearings given your description of the problem. If the bearing is loose it can cause enough deflection of the ABS ring to make the vehicle think it’s lost traction.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the problem be because the diameter has changed too much from stock? Have you adjusted the tires size using the iid tool?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA