18" Wheels w/o modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BriComp

Reaction score
I am hoping that I have found a combo that works and wanted to see if anyone else has some experience/insight with smaller wheels.

Black Rhino Barstow, 18x8 5-120 (BKMTXX)
BFG T/A KO2 LT265/60 R18, 119S E1

Will that work without me having to make any modifications to anything on the truck? Not looking for any rub/wear/tear on my truck either.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On lucky8’s sight the only wheel that requires no modification to the brake caliper or spacers are the Compomotives. If your looking for a more budget friendly 18’ wheel you’ll have better luck with the Tuffants 18’ for LR4. These require no modification to get the wheel on the car and depending on the tire you pick you might not have to shave the frame horns down either. I ran tuffants with 265/65R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers without any problems. Here’s the link to their sight a long with a picture of them. (Not the best picture I can provide more later if you would like.)
https://www.tuffantusa.com/product-page/tuffant-steelies

E95F4D40-641F-4341-A901-D813CE9AFF7E.jpeg

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that I have found a combo that works and wanted to see if anyone else has some experience/insight with smaller wheels.

Black Rhino Barstow, 18x8 5-120 (BKMTXX)
BFG T/A KO2 LT265/60 R18, 119S E1

Will that work without me having to make any modifications to anything on the truck? Not looking for any rub/wear/tear on my truck either.
I called Black Rhino (aka, TSW) about this exact wheel 3 days ago with the same question, since their fitment search says the 18" inch Barstow will fit the LR4.

According to them, you will need to shave the calipers to make an 18" Barstow fit, and the guy I spoke to said it probably shouldn't be listed as a fit for the LR4, since it requires mods to work.

Apparently, their fitment search tool looks primarily at things like bolt pattern and overall size within the wheel well.
On paper, the Barstow *should* fit a stock LR4 just fine since it fits under the fender and the bolt pattern is correct also, but their search tool doesn't take into account things like clearing the brake calipers, aftermarket lift mods, and so forth.

The only Black Rhino wheels that will fit an LR4 without needing caliper shaving are 20" or larger.

Also, of note, and I found this to be a bit of a bummer (as I thought they were made in California)... but Black Rhino wheels are all made in China. They don't advertise that, and some people don't care one way or the other, but to others that matters a lot.

If you want 18s with zero mods (no spacers, shaving, etc), then Compomotives, Tuffants (Steelies or Alloy), or EVO Corse Dakars are pretty much your only choices at this point.

Hope this helps some.

SkyTree

Last edited:

BriComp

Reaction score
I called Black Rhino (aka, TSW) about this exact wheel 3 days ago with the same question, since their fitment search says the 18" inch Barstow will fit the LR4.

According to them, you will need to shave the calipers to make an 18" Barstow fit, and the guy I spoke to said it probably shouldn't be listed as a fit for the LR4, since it requires mods to work.

Apparently, their fitment search tool looks primarily at things like bolt pattern and overall size within the wheel well.
On paper, the Barstow *should* fit a stock LR4 just fine since it fits under the fender and the bolt pattern is correct also, but their search tool doesn't take into account things like clearing the brake calipers, aftermarket lift mods, and so forth.

The only Black Rhino wheels that will fit an LR4 without needing caliper shaving are 20" or larger.

Also, of note, and I found this to be a bit of a bummer (as I thought they were made in California)... but Black Rhino wheels are all made in China. They don't advertise that, and some people don't care one way or the other, but to others that matters a lot.

If you want 18s with zero mods (no spacers, shaving, etc), Compomotives or EVO Corse are pretty much your only option at this point.

Hope this helps some.

SkyTree

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks - I am not against Compomotives, I am still waiting to hear back what the cost and shipping would be but what about tire size? Can I get a 265/60-R18 on there without a rub? They are only a .5" larger than my stock 255/55 R-29 so my guess is I would be fine but with the suspension and all, I wanted to see if there was anyone with experience.

defender_verde

Reaction score
Thanks - I am not against Compomotives, I am still waiting to hear back what the cost and shipping would be but what about tire size? Can I get a 265/60-R18 on there without a rub? They are only a .5" larger than my stock 255/55 R-29 so my guess is I would be fine but with the suspension and all, I wanted to see if there was anyone with experience.

I'm running 265/65 R-18 KO2's with Tuff Ants on my LR4. No rub at all, even in access mode. But not sure if that would be the same for all tire brands.

BriComp

Reaction score
I'm running 265/65 R-18 KO2's with Tuff Ants on my LR4. No rub at all, even in access mode. But not sure if that would be the same for all tire brands.
Thank you for the reply - KO2 is what I am looking at so that's awesome - thanks!

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you planning to do any reversible mods like Lift Rods/LLAMS/GAP Tool or SYA Extensions? (Note: the SYAs don't give you lift, but they give you 2" extended bump stops in case you blow an air strut out on the trail and bottom out, so that even if you're running larger tires, you can still get home)

Doing these will give you tire clearance galore on 18" wheels and you could run fairly large tires then with no worries. With the mods being reversible, you could always take them off (simple adjustment in the case of LLAMS or GAP Tool) later if you didn't like them or wanted to sell the vehicle as stock in the future.

SkyTree

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/60 R18 KO2’s on Compomotives. No rub at all with this set up. Just put them on this summer.

There are two US sources for Compomotives that I know of: Lucky8 LLC and Johnson Rods. Johnson Rods advertises a lower price, but charges $400 shipping on a set of 5 (I think they must be drop shipping from the factory). Lucky8 has shipping included in the advertised price. Ends up being about the same cost. I went with Lucky8 for no particular reason other than they said they had them in stock stateside.

Considered TuffAnts as well, but the 44 offset was backordered and I needed them right away. The guys at Tuffant thought the 27 offset would probably also work with the 265/60’s, but couldn’t say for sure. If I hadn’t needed them right away, I probably would have gone this route just based on price.

mgkonopka

Reaction score
There are many posts about different size wheels and what would fit but I have never seen anyone ask about the "standard" Land Rover 18" wheels that came on the stock SE. I am hoping these will clear the calipers on my LR3 HSE as I bought a used set from Craigslist and intend to paint them a satin black and mount 265/65-18's on them. I got a sweet deal on them - all four in great shape for $300. The guy I bought them from said he took them off his LR4.