2 Year Service Sticker Shock. Just me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my 2013 with 27k miles in for its 2 year service today and was under the impression that this one was covered. The last three Land Rovers I owned I kind of recall not having to reach for your wallet until the 4 year, 48K mile mark. MY dealer told me that practice changed after MY11 and now only the first year/12K mile is covered.

The total, before state sales tax, was $731.44 of which $238.44 was parts and $491 labor. Its a service where a lot gets checked, some things lubricated, the oil/filter and brake fluid get changed, and the tires rotated. Even with LR pricing I would have guessed the bill for this one would have been about $400 ..... $731 just seems obscene.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer hasn't seen me since the first free service at 15K miles, recalls and/or warranty work, back when my car was under warranty. I go to a trusted local independent shop for regular maintenance and brakes, and do my own oil changes ( I really need to start doing my own brake jobs as well, as I feel even my indy is overcharging me on those.) I do need to rent a car for a day or two while they work on mine, but even with that extra charge I figured I save 30-40% at least compared to stealer prices. Do you have a detailed breakdown of those $700+ parts and labor, so we can have a laugh?

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always go over the work, line by line and ask pointed questions. They will haggle a little in some cases. Several things, I have them skip and do myself.

Brakes are pretty easy, but I haven't had to mess with the lr4 yet, and the parking brake calibration crap scares me a little.

Honestly if I spent about $600 and they actually did the work well, wouldn't bother me much either.. sometimes the time and lack of hassle is just worth the money to me.

731 seems a little much, i would have asked about the labor on that.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny that this thread came up today. I just picked up my truck from the dealer for it's 24 month service. I have a 2012 but with only 16000 miles, 2 1/2 years in my possession. Despite the low mileage, I figured I needed an oil change.

Price paid: almost $900.00 with tire rotation and alignment

24 month or 30K service 315.00
Parts - various filters, fuel additive, battery additive, etc 266.52
Tire rotation 75.00
Wheel alignment 200.00
Shop supplies 38.00
TOTAL $ 894.52

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a scan of what my 24 month/30k service included. They also fixed two recalls under warranty: 0361 heated front screen fuse blow issue and P039 engine MIL illuminated.

Attachments

• LR4 30K Service.jpg
    LR4 30K Service.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 56

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer hasn't seen me since the first free service at 15K miles, recalls and/or warranty work, back when my car was under warranty. I go to a trusted local independent shop for regular maintenance and brakes, and do my own oil changes ( I really need to start doing my own brake jobs as well, as I feel even my indy is overcharging me on those.) I do need to rent a car for a day or two while they work on mine, but even with that extra charge I figured I save 30-40% at least compared to stealer prices. Do you have a detailed breakdown of those $700+ parts and labor, so we can have a laugh?

Sure. They did rotate the tires (not listed) and performed a NY State inspection and forgot to charge me, though not for the "labor" to change the windshield sticker.

Attachments

• 2yrServiceInvoice.2.jpg
    2yrServiceInvoice.2.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a scam. A legal scam. No different than what you see in The Wolf of Wall Street. People, let me be clear. Unless it is covered under warranty, stay far FAR away from the dealer for any kind of service. I mean even the freaking tire rotation for $75 are you kidding? That's insane, normal rate at a shop is around 5 bucks a tire. You've just learned a very expensive lesson my friend and I'm sorry to hear it. But like they say, fool me once.....

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Qatar, there is only one Land Rover dealer / service center. (Monopolies everywhere) If you do not do the service through the dealer, they will not honor your warranty. Your service bills look to be about half of what we have to pay here!!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's insane, $700/800 for a glorified oil change and tire rotation. I bet they over-torqued your lug nuts, too.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2014 only the first, 15K service was free. I plan to do my own oil next go around. And all of my wheel/tire stuff is handled by the Discount Tire down the street. (I could do it myself when I change wheels but they do the wheel change for free for me due to all the tires and wheels I have purchased from them over the past few years.) Beyond that I'll need to look around for non-warranty work. I think I can get some good tips from Solihull Club members here in the area. I like my service guys. When I had them do a detail for me they did a better job at less cost than an indy here and significantly less than when I used to have my Lexus dealer do it (which was rare.) So I guess the message is to find a good Indy and be selective on what you have your dealer do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72