2001 Discovery Series II Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afchiefw

Reaction score
My Disco has lately been loosing the air from the rear suspension bags when parked. It replenishes when I start it, so I know it is not the compressor. It will also stay raised (even for days) when I raise the rear and then park it, so I know there is not a leak in the bags themselves. I believe it has something to do with the relief valve (or whatever regulates it under normal "leveling/parked" actions).

I'm hoping I don't have to replace the entire system, but don't really know where to start.

Yes, the entire system is probably worth more than the vehicle itself, but I'v had it for over a decade and I'm a very loyal person (it's never left me stranded). :)

Suggestions anyone?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could try spraying the connection points with something like simple green and listen after you've had it fill up.

obviously you could also convert the rear to steel springs if it becomes too annoying.

afchiefw

Reaction score
So, it's obviously leaking during "normal" settings, but NOT when I choose the "lifted" option and leave it...

Not sure what the spraying it with simple green would do, unless you feel that it might "clean" the contact points that you are suggesting are the culprit during normal settings?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it's obviously leaking during "normal" settings, but NOT when I choose the "lifted" option and leave it...

Not sure what the spraying it with simple green would do, unless you feel that it might "clean" the contact points that you are suggesting are the culprit during normal settings?

spraying something to bubble if air is escaping is so you can see or hear it. how else do you plan to find a leak?

not sure what else

afchiefw

Reaction score
my point is more that if it was "just a leak" it also would leak when in the raise/lift position... it does not... info points to it being a controlled leak problem instead of a generalized leak (hope that makes sense).

are there two different ways it may leak/dissipate air from the suspension? just baffled on why it leaks while in normal, but not in raised?

afchiefw

Reaction score
my point is more that if it was "just a leak" it also would leak when in the raise/lift position... it does not... info points to it being a controlled leak problem instead of a generalized leak (hope that makes sense).

are there two different ways it may leak/dissipate air from the suspension? just baffled on why it leaks while in normal, but not in raised?

...it also raises and stays raised while the disco is running.

afchiefw

Reaction score
oddly enough, I had to take it on an extended trip (usually just a commuter vehicle about 30 minutes each way) and the problem appears to have "fixed itself." thinking maybe it just needed some road time...?

rally3

Reaction score
It is the rear suspension bags, they crack where the bag folds under it self, usually in the position they spend the most time, (standard height) the cracks will leak as they flex, the quick way to test is to spray the lower half of the bags with soapy water then stand on the rear bumper (or trailer hitch) and jump up and down to get the bags to flex, you will probably find it starts to leak quickly and will see the soap foam up with that test.

afchiefw

Reaction score
if it is a leak how/where you suggest, wouldn't they also leak when the bags are at fully raised position? that's what i wasn't understanding, they do not leak (even after several days) when fully raised...

rally3

Reaction score
When fully raised the cracks are closed because they are not in the folded area, if you watch the bags when raising and lowering the suspension you will see how the bag change in length and rolls under it self, try the jumping test making sure you are at standard height.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut