2001 Range Rover overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wasugars

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the site and I need some help figuring out what is wrong with my car. I have a 2001 Range rover 4.6 HSE and recently my coolant has started backing up into the radiator overfill tank, which causes overheating. I was suspecting the thermostat but am not really sure. Could it be anything other than that? Thanks for your help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
More info.... mileage, recent maintenance, has it overheated prior to the issue being noticed... and performance changes?

wasugars

Reaction score
More info.... mileage, recent maintenance, has it overheated prior to the issue being noticed... and performance changes?
Hey Joey,

I currently have 96300 miles on the car. I am due for service right now, I also need an oil change. Apart from that, about a year ago I had the thermostat and water pump replaced on the car and I would say, 6 months after those repairs I ended up changing the the radiator hose due to a leak. And a little after that, I stopped driving the car for quite some time, and just started driving it again about a couple of weeks ago. And it drove fine and all of a sudden , one night after I parked the car, I noticed that all my coolant had poured on the floor. When I check the car was completely out of coolant, so I added some more. The next day I drove the car with no problem the whole day and sometime in the evening it indicated overheating so I parked, check my coolant level, and I still had some. Later I checked for any leak but could not find anything and I realized that the coolant was backing up into the radiator overfill tank. As far as performance, I did not notice any particular change, because I had not been driving for a while, also I did not drive the car very fast or on very long distances. Hopefully you can help me figure out what the issue is, with the additional details. Thanks a lot

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have an air pocket in the system (just guessing) it could also be many expensive items... but I am leaning toward and air pocket...

You will need to bleed the system.

Park with the front end up hill or parked on a set of ramps.
Fill the coolant system
Turn on the engine, and the heater
run till it gets warm, shut down
Fill the coolant system
Repeat until it will run warm and not require a refill.

shipmate57

Reaction score
1998 Land Rover Disco Temperature Gauge Issues

I purchased my 98 Disco last week! There was no heat in the vehicle. I put in a new thermostat in and it improved. It heats up well on the highway but cools off again when at idle. Although the temperature gauge did not show hot before I changed the thermostat, it does now after driving for about 5 minutes. When I pull off the road, it immediately goes back down to normal. There are no signs of the motor overheating when it is registering hot???? I work in ministry often off the beaten path! I would hate to get caught out in the middle of nowhere and it not be just a gauge issue... Any thoughts?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an air pocket as well... just a guess thought without more vehicle maintenance history.

wasugars

Reaction score
Hello Joey, I tried bleeding the system and it worked for 2 days and started overheating again. Does that suggest that the thermostat might be bad? How do I check whether my thermostat is good or bad? thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would just replace it.... in order to test you have to take it out... so might as well change it.

bigtimer24

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. After replacing the water pump (which needed to be replaced) I still overheated just running at idle. I replaced the thermostat shortly after which didn't fix it. It ended up being my radiator that was only allowing about 20% of flow (due to clogs from too much water and not enough coolant) which caused my future overheating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA