2002 Discovery 2 Roof Damage question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkster

Reaction score
I unfortunately skidded on ice at low speed on a turn, did a 360 and hit a dogwood tree which crumpled my roof on the passenger side. Geico is willing to pay to have the entire roof replaced and wont total it. Its a shame as there is not 1 mechanical issue .

Have any of you had a similar repair?

Will the vehicle be the same after its done (Entire roof replaced with a donor one) or should i trade it in?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2002 will be all Aluminum... I hope whom ever does it knows what they are doing or you will have a mess.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If done correctly by some one familiar with working with aluminum you should be fine. You should ask the body shop to remove both of your old sun roofs and keep or sell them. Also does your's have ACE, if so you will want to make sure the replacement roof comes from another Disco with ACE so you get the ACE sensors. If it were mine, I would request/pay to have a second coat of clear coat applied to the new roof since most Disco's have a tendency to sun burn.
Tell us how it goes.

hawkster

Reaction score
It looks like they are going to move everything from the old to the new roof. I'm going to give them a call and let them know about the ACE sensors and GPS antenna as I don't see that on the Geico breakdown. Thank you, greatly appreciated.

hawkster

Reaction score
It looks like they are going to move everything from the old to the new roof. I'm going to give them a call and let them know about the ACE sensors and GPS antenna as I don't see that on the Geico breakdown. Thank you, greatly appreciated.

It looks like the price between a new roof and used is minimal so he's going to order a new one on Monday. He's going to speak to Rover on Monday to confirm correct order as there are 2 roof options for 2002.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into the 2 roof options. Having been a service manager for Rover and other vehicles, I believe Rover only used 1 roof.
Do you have ACE as well as the ultra sonic sensors for on your truck?
Let us know how it goes.

I think I mis-spoke, there is also the non-sunroof roof.

Last edited:

hawkster

Reaction score
The only options I'm missing are rear air and third row seating so all the sensors are present and error free. The Geico appraiser called me back and he's onboard with the new roof so Monday the order will be placed once its confirmed the roof has the spot for the GPS antenna else a 2003 roof will need to be ordered. The damaged roof will be disassembled in parallel . I'm hoping for the best. I'm worried most of all about the sunroofs as they don't leak and hoping that it will be the same for the new roof. There are parts that are real hard to get so I'm hoping that everything can be preserved.

hawkster

Reaction score
Update. There were 3 roof options for 2002. 2 were around $700, the third is $1700. My luck I have the $1700 one which took a lot of negotiation to have Geico approve (This is the one for GPS, ACE. Its determine by your VIN# and can only be ordered by a local dealer). They gave in and it's on its way from the UK. The old top isn't going to be lopped off until close to delivery date.

hawkster

Reaction score
Roof had to be made on the assembly line in the UK, it finally arrived earlier this week. It's welded on and painted but a ways to go yet. All the glass has to be re-installed, sensors, sunroofs, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72