2002 LR Disco 2 - Rough Idling and Hesitating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adicuss

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2002 land rover discovery 2 which I recently noticed it rough idling and hesitating.
I just changed the both catalytic converters out then coils and new wires. Both catalytics were burnt completely out and pushed into my muffler. I just tried pulling the MAF plug off it and running it... seems to run a bit better without it plugged in but now hesitates with loss of power when driving. I have ordered a new Walker MAF insert and am waiting on both upper and lower bank O2's as I'm sure they had also burnt out with the Cat's.
Just wondering if I'm on track or missing something?
Any info or help would be good.
The Cats were making noise for a while now but the rough idling seemed to happen almost over night.
Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What check engine codes do you have? No sense spending lots of money on parts till you know what is wrong.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wild guess failed coil pack now missing with rough idle with raw fuel burning inside the cats overheating them.
Did you examine the cat's honeycomb material to see if it was straight or gobs of melted and twisted honeycomb?
Running lean like a low fuel pump pressure condition or fuel pressure regulator out of spec or failing or both combined. Fuel rail pressure gauge will tell a lot what's going on vs guessing and just changing out parts praying for the fix becomes rather expensive.
With O2 sensors they will handle a lean to rich running condition without damage and later on if hooked up to a scanner having live digital or analog scales reading will show if the O2 sensors are functioning normally, sluggishly or about dead before wasting money on O2 sensors times four......~~=o&o>.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut