2005 HSE - Which fuse(s) disengage the touch screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fmfoxx

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Martin and I have a 2005 LR Range Rover HSE with 130,000 miles on it. I love the vehicle, but it has become unusable the past couple of months.
Problem: my radio (infotainment) touch screen is frozen on - the Range Rover logo stays on brightly at all times, the orange light on the volume knob is constantly blinking, whether the car is running or not. As a result, the battery gets drained overnight, and I need to jump start the vehicle every day.

My question: which fuse(s) will disconnect the touch screen? I don't need the radio, or navigation, etc. for this car, I only use it for short hops around my town. I just want to disengage the screen so that it will not drain the battery any more. I can happily live with the screen never working again, as long as the car starts up in the morning. Can pulling a fuse (or two) eliminate the battery drain caused by the frozen infotainment system? If so, which fuse(s) should I pull?

Thank you,

Martin

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the orange light is blinking, you have a fiber optic system fault. 99% of the time it's the phone module shorted out.
You can buy a fiber optic bypass kit to route around the phone module, then the radio will function as normal.

Check for water intrusion in the left rear quarter panel.

fmfoxx

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Yes, I've read a lot about the various components in the rear left (phone, bluetooth, amplifier, etc.) that can be affected by water seepage, and thus cause the radio/infotainment malfunction.

I just want to yank a fuse or two and disengage the touch screen, to see if that will eliminate the battery drain.

The fuse box schematic charts are very thorough, containing a, icon/ diagram for each individual fuse, showing what that fuse corresponds to (headlights, heater, wipers, windows, etc.) It's fairly easy to determine which component is served by any particular fuse, by looking at its icon/diagram. Except, sadly, for the touch screen. None of the icons/diagrams even remotely resembles a touch screen.

Martin

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuse F3 in the rear fuse box (cargo area) , powers the infotainment screen.

fmfoxx

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the fuses in the cargo area are numbered F71 - F89. And, once again, none of the icons resembles a touch screen (except for fuse R10...but that picture is of the tailgate window).

Attachments

• Cargo Area Fuses.jpg
    Cargo Area Fuses.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 76

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have access to all the wiring diagrams so the files in the link below may be of no assistance but that would surprise me.

The files relate to the entertainment, Bluetooth, Nav and fibre optic systems in my 2005 LR3.

The info is a result of my successful removal of my dealer installed 0000 analogue bluetooth system and installation of the more modern 2121 fibre optic Bluetooth electronics.

What I found was the systems seemed to have multiple power sources rather than just a single power lead. It seemed the multiple power leads related to no key in the ignition, key in the ignition but off, key in accessory position and key with engine running scenarios. I know that this is not being helpful but that was my determination; also I think that means more than one fuse, wherever they might be or a RR. For me, the fuses were located on the fuse box behind the lower glove box on the passenger side.

Since you want to eliminate some component, probably the best bet is to remove the electrical connectors to the unit and see what else dies as well - and that is the problem even with removing fuses.

Below you do that however, I suggest to try what is called a Hard Reset per the instructions below. I have had good luck with the procedure getting a locked up radio etc working again. For me, this often happens as a result of replacing the starting battery or perhaps even disconnecting it. The good news is that the Hard Reset procedure either fixed the problem or at least did no harm to anything and did not cost anything to try either. Also it is a standing up clean hands procedure, no aerobatics required sort of fix - rare on a Land Rover. For special tools, per below, all you need is a foot long length of 16 gauge electrical wire.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard-reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your vehicle go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the driver’s door window rolled down and the key in one’s pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.)

Also, when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch. Have the car keys in your pocket.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your vehicle. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.) I have the Traxide dual battery system installed in my 3.

Connect the negative cable end to the positive cable end. (NOT to the battery.) To do this, you will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to be able to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (suggest at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.

Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully none or at least fewer warning lights and the radio when turned on plays music rather than being silent.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. http://bit.ly/14WXXR1

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19547.html

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3374

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the fuses in the cargo area are numbered F71 - F89. And, once again, none of the icons resembles a touch screen (except for fuse R10...but that picture is of the tailgate window).
Try fuses F72, F3 and F75

fmfoxx

Reaction score
Update:

I finally determined that the infotainment screen on my 2005 Range Rover is controlled by Fuse 49 (15 amp, blue), which is located in fuse box hidden inside the passenger-side glove compartment.

So I figured out how to get into the fuse box, determined which fuse was #49, and pulled it out.
Result: The touch screen went dark.
Good.

But the orange light on the volume knob was still flashing.

So I pulled fuses 14 and 22 from that some box, whose icons seemed to indicate that they were radio-related.
Result: the orange light extinguished.
Great.

Then I drove the car around for a few miles, to try to charge up the battery (battery is only a year old, should be fine).

In the morning I will attempt to start the Rover up.
Without using a jumper box, for the first time in a month. I have faith that it will fire right up.

Fingers crossed...

fmfoxx

Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions. If the car doesn't start in the morning, I will try the alternate fuses that were mentioned, and, if necessary, the hard reset.

Its great to look out the window at my car in the driveway and not see that "Range Rover" logo brightly illuminated on its touch screen. I remain hopeful that eliminating this drain will allow my battery to function properly.

Martin

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72