2005 LR3 SE "Reduced Engine Performance" No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshado

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had my LR3 for about 2 years now with no issues whatsoever. The other day I ran into the grocery store and when I came out the LR3 would not start. All I got was a single 'click', no turnover at all. The dash displays the following message: 'Reduced Engine Performance'. No other dash lights or messages are displayed. I haven't had any instances with the LR3 stalling, etc. and this is the first time I've seen that message displayed. The battery has been checked and is fine (<2 years old). The LR3 has had no trouble starting up until this point and had been running fine all day. Not sure where to begin as far as getting her up and running again. Any tips are appreciated.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try jumping it off with another vehicle?

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Not on the Rover, but I have experienced sudden catastrophic battery failures exactly as you describe. I would start with a new battery. Some batteries can test as OK but cannot handle the load at start.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure your level of mechanical ability but I would start with the battery cables cleaning and making sure they're tight and try a jump start again knowing that the cables need to be attached to metal and a good ground, not grounded on a painted fender. (Just went through that eye opener with my son). Let the donor car run for about 5 minutes. If it still doesn't turn over but you get a click I would check the cable at the starter. Also search this forum and the UK forum. The click seems to indicate to me the starter is trying to engage but doesn't have enough juice and seriously, two years maybe three is about the life of a battery in an LR3.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Here in Houston batteries just plain old incinerate in the heat.
So here in Houston.... The number of the count, it shall be two, counteth thee not to one, except thou proceedest directly to two. Three is right out..

Seriously in Houston, 2 years is fine, 3 years is getting out there, 4 or more is asking for a failure at an inconvenient location and time in the middle summer, when it's 8 billion degrees...

joshado

Reaction score
So I'm still having issues here. The battery is good, all battery cables/connections are good & clean, and I've replaced the starter. Still just a single 'click' when I turn the key. However, I no longer see the 'Reduced Engine Performance' on the dash.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some links to other forums. I really am thinking you need to put jumper cables on and let it charge for a few minutes just to rule out the battery. There are also a couple of mentions of a fusable link built into the positive battery cable, it looks like a 1.5 x 2" black box, you might also check that and the starter relay.

joshado

Reaction score
Here are some links to other forums. I really am thinking you need to put jumper cables on and let it charge for a few minutes just to rule out the battery. There are also a couple of mentions of a fusable link built into the positive battery cable, it looks like a 1.5 x 2" black box, you might also check that and the starter relay.

I'll try that. However i did take the battery to O'reilly's this past weekend and had them test/charge it overnight for me. Appreciate the links. I'll be diving into those next

joshado

Reaction score
Bypassed the fuse as suggested in this forum: https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/04-lr3-wont-start-just-clicks.338739/ and it started right up. Too bad I didn't run across that before going thru the trouble of replacing the starter lol. Ordered a new 400 amp mega fuse and hopefully that will be the end of my troubles.

We've had the LR3 for about 3 years.. bought at 200K and it's at about 233K now. It's become a great beach/overland rig. This is the first trouble of any kind we've run into. Hoping to keep this thing running for a long time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut